Chapter 2: Growing Apart (To Get Closer)

Ben's Dorm

Spy School

September 30

0800 Hours

Ben POV:

It had been a while since I had heard Mark speaking with someone. Mark and Erica were together, and I could not stop thinking about how I had broken her ice walls, and she then leaves me for the new kid. I honestly hated that kid's guts. And I was extremely suspicious of that guy. Who knows what he's hiding? What if he was working for someone like SPYDER or the CROATOAN? Either way, I was going to try and find out.  

I had decided to listen in more on Mark's conversations with whoever it was he was speaking with. Perhaps I was wrong? Well that narrative ended today, when I decided to wake up early, because I had heard him talking to the other person the night before, saying to talk again at 0730 hours. "Hello?" Mark had said, presumably to the other person on the phone. "Should we start operation 2 birds 1 stone?" "Alright then, we can probably just kill Erica, Ben is not to great at actual combat, and either way, he lets emotions get in the way far too many times. He'll be a wreck once Erica dies." "Alright, I'll start on the 7th, bye." Did I hear that correctly? They - whoever they were- were planning to kill Erica? I decided to run over Erica's dorm to tell her. 

Before I even had knocked on her door, she pulled me in to her dorm. I couldn't help but to look at all of her kitten posters and her throw pillows. "Done staring?" Erica said, rolling her eyes. "Oh yeah, I have to tell you something. That new kid, Mark, is plotting to kill you." "Huh? he's a new kid, and either way, he wouldn't do anything bad. You're probably jealous that Mark and I are together, and want us to break up so that you can be with me. Im telling you right now, that will not work." "Yeah but-" "No buts. Get out of my room now. " She growled. "Alright then, I'll tell the others so they can save you when you get kidnapped, cause I sure as hell won't" I responded, getting mad at Erica. Then I turned on my heel and swiftly left to the mess hall to tell the others about this new kid and his plots to kill Erica, and who might be behind it. 

I walked into the mess to tell my friends about this, but they didn't believe me at all. "Why would someone new like Mark ever want to kill Erica?" asked Zoe. "Yeah, I have to agree with Zoe on this, it seems impossible that Mark would do this" said Chip. Then Trixie said "I don't know guys, maybe Ben's right. Mark might be suspicious." "Thank you Trixie, but if the others don't believe me, then I'll have to save your sister by myself." Then I promptly left the mess to go to the library. If no one wants to believe in me, then what's the point in being here. At least I won't get Erica killed. One half of the "Wonder Twins" would be gone, so hopefully they won't do anything to Erica. 

I went to the armory and got some C4, then grabbed a vial and put my blood in it. I was going to fake my own death. I then went to the security cameras, and dismantled them, so no one would see me planting the bombs, therefore suspecting that I had been killed by someone like SPYDER, or been killed by Murray's Project X, whatever that was. I then went to the far corner of the library, so I would not get anyone killed while faking my own death. I planted the C4 in one of the library shelves, behind some books and went to sit at the desk close to it. I decided to tip the vial of blood all over the desk and add a few hairs, so they would know, or think, that I had died in the explosion.

I had set it all up and ran into the forest. I had a detonator on me, and once I was a safe distance away, I pressed the button. BOOM. Wow. I  had done that. Crazy stuff. Well, now it was time to flee. Who knows where I'm going next. Certainly not back at this place. Especially with no friends to help me, I was on the run. Anything but here. 

Erica POV:

Ben had just left my dorm when I had started thinking. Was he really telling me the truth, or was he just trying to get me to break up with Mark. Probably the latter, I thought. When I got up to open my door to get to the mess I heard a loud BOOM. What had happened? I raced down to the mess, only to see that the library was on fire. I met up with Ben's friends, who told me that Ben was in the library, and to see if he's still in there. I decided to investigate the scene where the bomb, or whatever it was, blew up. Then I saw it. Sandy brown hair, and blood. Was this really Ben? I then decided to view the security cams, only to show that it was dismantled. 

After only about 5 minutes, my suspicions were confirmed true, when my mom had walked in to the security room. "T-the explosion, B-ben was in it. H-he's dead." "WHAT? THERE'S NO WAY" My mind was racing as I wondered what had happened. Did he get killed? Did he defect to SPYDER or the CROATOAN? Probably the latter, he must've been jealous about me and Mark, and decided to join one of those evil organizations. Like Joshua. Or Warren I guess, but Joshua. Did I really still like him? No, I said, pushing those thoughts out of my brain. He probably just defected. Hate him, and I WILL make sure that I show no mercy to him, like I did with Joshua. No way at all. 

1011 words