Chapter 1: Surprises

Thor's point of view

"Mother!" I shout. My fellow comrades and I had just gotten back from battle with the fire giants in Muspelheim, and hadn't been home for three days.

I run up to Frigga, pick her up, and spin her around. She laughs, "Oh my son, I have missed you so," she says with a warm smile on her face. "I have missed you too mother."

Odin then walks up to me after I have put Frigga down and embraces me. "You have done well my son. You made me proud in battle," he said and clapped his hand on my back. "Thank you father, but I think I need to go lie down and rest for a while before I do anything else."

"Alright, but meet Frigga and I in the throne room at sunset, we have some exciting news to tell you." Odin said.

As I walked back to my room I pondered what the exciting news could be. What news could they tell me that they think would make me immensely happy? I decided that I would just have to wait until after my rest to find out.

~~~~~~~

A few hours later, I woke up and felt much more energized, but now I was starving. I wanted to hear my exciting news as soon as possible so I decided to just grab an apple in the dining hall and go to the throne room. The sun was starting to set, so Frigga and Odin would probably already be waiting for me in the throne room by now.

As I walked down to the throne room I ate my apple and tried once again to think of what the exciting news could be, but no ideas came to my mind.

When I walked into the throne room my parents were smiling and their expressions looked like they almost couldn't contain themselves. "Alright, I'm ready to hear my exciting news!" I almost yelled. I realized I could barely contain my excitement too.

"Son, as you know, we are very happy about this and we hope that you are too," Frigga said.

"I am ready mother and father, don't keep me waiting any longer!" I said, and Odin and Frigga both laughed.

Odin spoke next, "Alright, we will tell you. But first you must answer a question first." I groaned, but let them continue. " How do you feel about marriage?

Wow. That conversation took a turn, I was not correlating my good news with marriage in any way. "Well, I haven't really put any thought into it. No woman of Asgard has really caught my attention that I have seen yet." I hope they didn't think they could make that kind of choice for me.

"We know that a king must have a queen to rule beside him, and with your crowning ceremony and you becoming the official King of Asgard only 14 months away, Odin and I think that it is time we tell you this."

Yep, they most definitely already chose a bride for me. Maybe I could try to divert the conversation somewhere away from that. "I will start to look immediately for one that appeals to me."

"Oh Thor, we have already picked out the perfect bride for you." Frigga said. Figures.

"We decided that you should marry princess Chantel (pronounced Shontel) from Vanaheim because both your marriage will establish peace between Vanaheim and Asgard."

Dead silence. Not only are they forcing me to marry someone that I don't love, they are forcing a complete stranger from a whole different realm to me just so we can keep our peace with their realm.

"So let me get this straight. You are forcing me to marry someone I don't even know just because it's my duty to keep the peace? Is this a some sort of joke?"

"This is no joke," Frigga started cautiously. "We are actually a bit surprised that you are not happy that we have found you a proper bride."

"Surprised? You are making me marry someone to pacify both realms, and you aren't taking into consideration the feelings I might have about this at all! Don't you understand?"

"Of co-" Frigga started, but was cut off by Odin. "You are being an ungrateful, spoiled child. You should be thankful that we found you someone worthy to marry! She may be amazing and beautiful and you are just stubborn because you don't want to marry yet. Now go somewhere else and think this over, I have had enough of this good-news-gone-wrong conversation." Odin said with a huff as he left the throne room, and Frigga led me outside.

"I'm sorry that you are not happy with the choice that we made for you son, but you and Chantel's marriage is for the good of both Asgard and Vanaheim, I hope you can soon come to realize this and maybe give Chantel a chance. You both do have 14 months to get to know each other before the wedding and coronation." Frigga said softly.

As Frigga left you and walked over to the garden, I, however, stormed off to the training room and started throwing knives hard at a target, hitting the bullseye almost every time.

How could Odin and Frigga just decide that for me like it was no big deal? Marriage changes your whole life, forever. There was probably no undoing it now that half a thousand people must already know and be planning the wedding already. I would just have to go along with it for now, until maybe I could somehow find a loophole as a way out of all of this.

[A/N: So I decided to try and start another fanfic only this time about Thor because a lot of my ideas are about Loki and I felt bad, so here's this. Also, I've noticed all my chapters or stories at really short like three pages so I'll try to make these longer and add more stuff, so yeah. ;) Please, if you have any comments or suggestions I would love to hear them. Alright, until the next chapter then.]