Chapter 4: Jealous?

Thor's point of view

It had been two days since Chantel and I ate lunch together, and my mother was hosting a ball tonight in celebration of our 'engagement'.

I was just supposed to wear my armor and Chantel would wear something to match me a bit.

Both Frigga and Odin were extremely excited about tonight, but I did not share in their enthusiasm at all.

Frigga and Odin wanted to share the news of our engagement to everyone and have them be anticipating their soon to be new king and queen.

I, however, found this all quite a bore. We had fourteen months left until the wedding and the coronation, yet we were hosting a ball in celebration of Chantel and I now.

Even though I tend to have a large annoyance with all the parties that are hosted in the castle that I have to go to, I do enjoy the food, so I guess I might be able to tolerate it.

I had gotten all ready and the party wasn't for another 3 hours, so I decided to wander around the garden.

As I sat down under my favorite tree,  my thoughts inevitably went to Chantel. She was pretty, no doubt, but pretty doesn't account for personality. She's probably like every other girl, flirting with me because I'm a prince. That's that. I'm not going to like her, I just won't.

About a half an hour later, I had dozed maybe a little bit, I heard Frigga calling me, probably something about my armor. I got up from under my favorite tree and headed back to the castle.

~~~~~~~

Chantel's point of view

One of my maids, Eleanor, dabbed on my last bit of make up.

"There you are your highness," Eleanor bowed, "You are now ready like a true princess to go to your engagement ball."

"Eleanor, would you mind if Chantel and I had a few moments alone?" My mother asked.

During my near 4 hours of having maid after maid clean me up and prepare me for the ball tonight, my mother had silently sat and watched the whole time.

"Chantel, pretend I am Thor and I just walked over to you, stand and act how you would in front of him."

"I'm sorry mother, but I can't. Otherwise you would have a huge bruise mark on your cheek right before the ball was about to start." I said with a super fake smile.

"Chantel!" My mother said with a mix of surprise, disappointment and a dash of disgust. "How can you think such thinks upon your future husband?"

"How can I? He is selfish, and cares only for himself. I don't know why all those girls throw themselves at him, but they can have him, I for sure don't want him."

"Chantel, you are being selfish right now. Do you know how much our family depends on this marriage? How much everyone on Vanaheim AND Asgard depend on this? I don't care if he is rude, you are following through with this, and you have no say in it."

"Yes, I know mother. But I have a right not to like him since this is a forced marriage, you can give me that at least."

My mother just rolled her eyes and kissed my forehead, knowing nothing in this universe or the next could change my stubbornness.

"Alright, stand up so I may look at you." My mother said.

I grumbled and stood up extra slowly, just to annoy her. When I finally got all the way up to a standing position, my mother smiled and hugged me.

"Oh my child, you look so lovely. You truly are a fit bride for a king."

"Mother! What if I don't want to be a fit bride for a king? Especially if it's Thor."