Chapter 2: Lunch

Chantel's point of view

Ugh. Civilians have life the easy way and they don't even know it. They don't have to sacrifice everything for the good of the kingdom, or worry about how they will someday have the burden of ruling the kingdom, and they most definitely do not have to deal with forced marriages. They just get to live a simple life, relying on their rulers to do the major things like wars, or making peace with other kingdoms.

I, however, have to worry about all these things and more. My parents say that it is my sworn duty to help the kingdom in any way I can, which apparently includes marrying a complete stranger. I don't remember any time in my life that I swore any promises to the kingdom, let alone a promise that would allow my permission to marry some random prince if necessary. But my parents said this would cause a war if I don't do this, and I don't want hundreds of thousands of deaths on my shoulders because I was too stubborn, so I guess I'm going with this.

I walked out to my balcony to try and cool my mind off a little bit from so many emotions towards this. Maybe Thor Odinson won't be as bad as I think he is. I'm just jumping to conclusions. He is in the exact same position as I'm in, being forced to marry someone he doesn't know, except he's being crowned king soon and will have to share his rule over the kingdom with me. Awkward much?

I think I should go meet Thor one on one before we meet 'officially' where we have to pretend we're super happy with each other for the sake of our parents more than anyone. Meeting one on one means we can actually talk about how we feel instead of pretending and we can complain about whatever. I think I'll do that.

I went to the throne room and found my mother and father there, talking about the wedding no doubt.

I cleared my throat loudly and they both looked up suddenly, obviously they hadn't heard me come in.

"Yes dear?" My mom said in a light tone.

"I would like to go meet Thor and get to know him a little bit so that we won't be super awkward when we all come together and meet officially," I said, hoping that they wouldn't say no.

"Of course, that's a wonderful idea! You should bring a basket of food and eat together while you talk since it's almost lunch time. I'll go get it ready, you stay right there." My mom said, and hurried off to go quickly prepare a lunch.

If it wasn't implied enough, my parents are the King and Queen over our race, the Vanir, of Vanaheim. My father is King Ricardo, and my mother is Queen Adaline. They are both very sweet and kind to me and have raised me in a generous home, although they can be a little strict at times.

My mother came out with a large basket of food rather quickly and wished me luck as I teleported to Asgard's bifrost.

A fairly large man with a giant sword stood in the center of the bifrost, like a guard.

"Who are you and why are you here?" The man said in a booming voice with a hint of curiosity etched into his tone.

"I am Chantel, princess of the royal family of Vanaheim, almost officially the fiancée of Thor Odinson," I said in an upbeat voice, although I wasn't to thrilled about the last part.

"And I am here to have a little 'date' with Thor over lunch if he may choose to accept so we can discuss this overwhelming topic of marriage honestly."

"Aahh, I see. But I must warn you, Thor is not very happy about this by far, and seems to think that he won't like you one bit, so it might be a little hard to convince him to sit down and just talk with you." The man said.

Oh, Thor might be just a little more bothered about this than I am. Or maybe a lot.

"Alright, thank you very much. By the way though, I don't think I got your name," you say to the man.

"My name is Heimdall, and I'm here if you ever need somebody to just talk about whatever to, I'll listen."

Heimdall seemed like a really nice and trustable person, and he was acting so friendly.

"Thank you so much Heimdall, you are my first friend here," you say, relieved that you can at least make one friend.

"You're very welcome. Come and visit me sometime! I'm always here."

"I will!" You say as you walk off to find Thor.

Hmm, I realized I have no idea where he is, I'll have to ask someone.

A woman who was slightly older-looking and dressed very extravagantly was walking by almost as soon as these thoughts ran through my head. I walked up behind her and gently tapped her shoulder to get her attention. She turned around and smiled at me as if I were a friend even though I didn't recognize her.

"Hello dear, how may I help you?" She said in a smooth, flowing voice.

"Um... I was wondering if you might know where prince Thor is." You said kind of jittery, realizing she may not have any connection with Thor whatsoever.

"Of course! But may I ask why you are going to see him?"

"Well, I'm Chantel, princess of Vanaheim, I'm now his fiancée if you want to call it that, and I thought we could go get to know each other a little bit better without all the formalities."

"Oh that sounds wonderful! Thor is my son. But be warned, he is not taking this arranged marriage very happily, so he may be a little rude, but he is usually very kind and caring." The woman said gently.

"Wait a minute, if Thor's your son, then that means you're Frigga, the Queen!" I try to bow very quickly but Frigga chuckled and pulled me to a standing position.

"I will be your mother-in-law soon enough, no need for all of these formalities, just call me Frigga." She said with a light laugh.

"Oh, okay then, Frigga. Well, I'll be cautious around Thor. Do you know where he is exactly?"

"Yes, silly me," she said. "He's in the training room, letting out his frustration with weapons," and pointed in the direction of the training room.

Oh. Well now I know a little more accurately how he feels about this.

"Ok, thank you Frigga," I said as I walked towards where she pointed, almost now dreading meeting Thor, not knowing how he would react at seeing me.

[A/N: Hey guys! Thanks for reading this, it really means a lot to me. I'm so sorry that I haven't updated this in a few weeks, I just finished all my finals on Friday, and I should be updating more often now. This is the first Thor story that I've written, so we'll see how this goes ;) bear with me.]