Chapter 8: Preparations

Chantel's point of view

There is no way in all of the nine realms that I am going to sit around when I can be preparing more for the upcoming battle. My vision has been haunting me every night, driving me to work even harder. To train each and every soldier more, pushing myself to train more too, and gathering all the weapons that we have. I will not let us be caught off guard by anything, preparation is key.

We went all around Asgard, rallying all the citizens to fight using tactics like fear, encouragement, honor, patriotism, and strength. We were thinking up everything possible to make citizens want to fight. Every soldier we added would increase our chance at winning the battle.

It wasn't easy, but by the time the sun was high in the sky, we had added 1,500 soldiers to our already 4,000. Fairly good, I thought. Odin and Frigga agreed, so we moved on the the next problem, training all the new recruits into soldiers.

First we scoured the castle and all of Asgard's citizens for more weapons to train the new soldiers with, but we only came up with somewhere around 700 weapons, so the soldiers would just have to share.

Then came the hardest part of this process, turning these common citizens into majestic and fierce warriors. A long week was ahead.

To help me I took Thor, Loki, and some of our finest soldiers and put them each with a group of new recruits to train them. I took a group as well, and led them to another part of the training room.

"Now that you are here, the difficulty of training might make you want to go home. But stand firm and persevere and you will be rewarded with strength and honor and praise of Asgard. Who is ready to train and fight for Asgard?" I yelled to my group.

"I!" A chorus of I's and cheers came from my group, and I knew we were ready to train. "Let's get to work."

We started with lifting weights, to help with holding their swords through the whole battle. They were lifting small weights, but we would build up their strength yet.

Next was practicing hand-to-hand. Everyone got a partner and practiced the basic moves I showed them, like how to strike and how to block. We would need to come back to that one.

Then we practiced very basic sword fighting, they grouped up in teams and fought with an odd bracket-like winning system until one of them won. They played that a couple of times.

The sun was setting, and since I knew the men were weary from training all day, and their muscles were sore, I let them go home a little early, with them back bright and early tomorrow.

After all the recruits had left, Thor, Loki the soldiers and I discussed our progress.

"Well, my group was great in muscle, but poor in the courage of hand to hand combat." I started off.

"My group was too friendly, they didn't want to fight they wanted to chat, I don't even know why they signed up." Loki huffed.

Thor clapped Loki on the back and Loki almost tumbled over. "Are you sure you were teaching them correctly?" Thor couldn't throw an amazing joke, but he knew how to get under Loki's skin.

"Of course I was! They just wouldn't listen!" Loki crossed his arms angrily.

"I don't know what happened in your groups, but my group was good at everything from strength to hand-to-hand to weapons, they came well prepared. We enjoyed ourselves greatly." Thor announced, very proud of himself.

"How fortunate of you, Thor." Loki grumbled over in his little rain cloud of attitude.

"Well sound like our groups are on all different sides of the spectrum, but we can fix that, it's only day one. What I need to fix right now though, is my hunger, I'm famished!" I said and raced everyone to the dining hall.

Over dinner, we ate, we laughed, and we made a mess of the whole table, but Frigga and Odin let it slide today. Most likely because they knew we had worked so much.

"So," said Fandral with a mischievous glint in his eye, "How many kids?"

I choked and almost spewed chicken all over him, I probably should have. "What?"

"How many kids are you guys going to have?"

I looked at Thor with an eye roll and said, "Hold your horses buddy, our wedding is 11 months away, and not to mention we're kind of focused on this war that's going to happen. You're thinking way into the future."

"Okay okay! Just asking," Fandral went back to eating.

"Mmhmm, sure," I laughed only to ease the awkward tension and we went back to eating like animals.

After dinner was over, we all headed back to our chambers. I said goodnignt to Thor, and went to get ready for bed.

As I got into bed I shook off what Fandral had asked. All he did was make things awkward, I was pretty sure that was his point though. I can't think about this stuff! I don't actually know Thor all that well anyway, I'm not going that far ahead yet. Weird how other people were thinking that far ahead though. I drifted off to sleep, hoping to just forget it by tomorrow. So I could focus on training the new recruits.

[A/N: Summer has started now that I have finally finished summer school. Victory scream! The battle is nearing and so is Chantel's vision, what could it mean for her? *insert mysterious music* Thanks for everyone out there still reading this, the next chapter will come really soon!]