Chapter 03

"The omega is to blame, he should be the one behind bars," the customer remarked, glancing at the TV screen behind me.

As I continued scanning the snacks he purchased, I chose to remain silent and let him vent his grievances. He's a regular at our convenience store and frequently voices his complaints about anything he deems unsatisfactory. Whether it's a product he dislikes, a malfunctioning machine, or a past disagreement with a former staff member, he never holds back.

Now, he's upset about the news involving an omega filing a rape case against an alpha.

I wasn't sure if I should feel relieved this time since he wasn't complaining about the store. Nevertheless, this man in his late fifties, who appeared to be a recessive alpha, was still quite irritating.

"That's precisely why you shouldn't be so reckless, mindlessly releasing your pheromones, and then blaming alphas for simply following our instincts. Tsk. Not all omegas are innocent victims, some are fully aware of their actions and manipulate situations, only to later put the blame on us. It's incredibly frustrating!"

As he continued his lecture, I focused on scanning his purchases, trying my best to remain composed despite the insults aimed at my second gender identity.

It was evident that he had strong opinions, but engaging in an argument with him would probably only make things worse, so I decided to keep my thoughts to myself.

I smiled at him, doing my best to hide my annoyance. "I'm a beta," I calmly corrected him.

"Really?" he responded, looking at me skeptically and scanning my appearance. "You seem too skinny to be a beta, but now that I think about it, I don't smell any scent from you."

I swiftly placed all his items into a plastic bag, and he promptly paid for his purchase.

I wanted to end this conversation as smoothly as possible.

"That guy came back," Samantha remarked with a chuckle as she watched the man leave after paying.

She adjusted her uniform while I prepared to leave since my shift had ended, and it was now Sam's turn to take over.

"It seems like his huge ego as an alpha has caused him to lose a few screws in his mind," she added with a playful smile.

Despite being a beta and unable to sense any pheromones, Samantha had a keen ability to discern who was an alpha or an omega based on their physical appearance.

I grabbed my small shoulder bag. "I'll go home now, Sam. Take care," I said after finishing tidying up.

"Here, take this. I already paid for it," she said, handing me a plastic bag with two burgers inside.

Glancing at her and then at the plastic bag, I teased, "You're spoiling her," but I still accepted the thoughtful gesture.

"That's precisely what I intend to do," she replied with a grin.

It was already past ten o'clock when my bus finally arrived. I had waited for fifteen minutes, and fatigue and drowsiness slowly started creeping into my system.

I still have another part-time job at a café early in the morning, making me desperate for some sleep.

While resting inside the bus and resisting the urge to doze off, my phone suddenly rang. I quickly checked it and saw a text from Midnight.

It's been a while since he contacted me. After the interview I had with the Sullivan Empire two months ago, I never heard anything from him.

From: Midnight