Chapter 06

As I stand before the mirror, adjusting my necktie, a flood of memories rushes back from my days as an agent. The attire I'm wearing now—this formal suit—was once a mandatory uniform whenever visits to the headquarters were necessary.

The familiarity of the tie's knot and the crispness of the fabric against my skin all evoke a sense of nostalgia.

It's really been quite a while since I last wore a suit.

Gazing at my reflection in the mirror, I notice another figure standing behind me.

It's Liam.

His expression clearly shows his concern and distress as he observes me meticulously tidying up my appearance.

I paused my actions. My fingers freeze while I adjust my tie. I meet his gaze through the mirror's reflection.

I let out a heavy sigh.

I know that Liam was simply concerned about me.

He was already aware of the plan, and I had also informed him about the sudden changes to it, particularly that I would now be working with Mauwi's father. That's only adding to Liam's uneasiness.

"Could you please reconsider? You and Mauwi have the chance to live normally," Liam implored, his concern evident in his tone.

"Did Midnight force you to do this? That jerk! Why do they keep blaming you? It's not even your fault—"

"Liam." My voice cuts through his stream of words, gentle yet assertive, and I hold his gaze.

I smiled slightly, hoping to ease the tension that had settled between us.

Taking a breath, I continued, "Midnight didn't force me into anything. It's my decision. I also wanted to save them, even if it's not certain whether they are really alive. I'm willing to take the risk. You know I can't bear to live peacefully knowing there's a possibility they're still out there trying to survive."

Perhaps there's a hint of guilt within me, but the main reason I kept teaming up with Midnight, even with the persistent conflict between us, was to protect other agents.

After my parents were murdered, the organization became my family, and I can't just abandon them abruptly.

I've been part of it for fourteen years, and during that time, I've formed strong bonds and connections that I can't easily let go of.

"I know you're worried about me, but have you forgotten that I was once one of the S-class agents? I understand it's been years, but don't underestimate my skills. I'll never go rusty." I assert confidently, a hint of self-assuredness in my voice.

Liam nods, his expression a blend of understanding and reluctance. He knows that my choices are not made lightly and that they are rooted in a purpose.

After my conversation with Liam, I promptly headed to a bus stop. Maximilian's secretary messaged me, informing me that a driver would pick me up.

I waited for just a few minutes when a sleek black Tesla pulled up in front of me. The window rolled down, revealing a man in his mid-60s inside.

He had a distinguished air about him, with silver hair neatly combed back and a well-tailored suit.

"Are you Mr. Medel?" he asked with a businesslike tone.

I nodded.

"I will be taking you to Young Master. Get in."

He pressed a button, and the car door immediately swung open. I entered the backseat.

As I settled into the luxurious leather seats, I couldn't help but notice the pristine interior of the car. The man behind the wheel exuded professionalism and experience, somehow making me feel at ease.