[12] Forgive me?

[YEJI]

After spending pretty much the day with my sister-in-law, I figured the rest of the day would be quiet. So when Yuna told me about Ryujin's pregnancy, I thought I was imagining things. I never imagined that something like that was happening, that it could only be a bad joke. I realized that the way they were saying this made me really worried. Ryujin looked confused at each of us, her words were slurred. Suddenly everyone was talking at the same time while my sister-in-law spoke visibly frightened, remaining seated in the same place. 

I couldn't believe that she was pregnant, maybe I was the only one who saw the seriousness of the problem. I was afraid that something serious had happened to her, I could see the desperation in her eyes. Worse, I could see how confused she was about what was happening. I couldn't think straight with all of them talking at the same time. 

"SHUT UP!" I yelled, trying to control the chatter. 

"Calm down, Yeji. Why all the stress?" Questioned Niki when everyone shut up.

"Be quiet, Niki." Spoke Yunjin pulling him to her side. 

"Come with me." Spoke, taking Ryujin's hand. 

Ryujin was extremely scared, it took her a few seconds to understand that she was supposed to come with me. I went inside the house with her and told her that everyone was following us. I went upstairs and entered my room, closing the door to prevent them from entering the room. Ignoring the complaints outside, I led my sister-in-law to the bed and made her sit up. I didn't know how to handle the situation, I couldn't come up with a logical answer. Ryujin is not the kind of person who relates easily to strangers. This made me think about how little I knew about her. Maybe there was someone she loved, someone who gave her confidence to the point of giving herself away. And I was not liking that at all. 

Ryujin had lived since childhood in a convent, I didn't think this kind of thing could have happened inside that place. Where only women live, yet he had only been living outside it for a short time. I was not worried about the fact that she was pregnant, what scared me the most was the fact that there was a possibility that it was not a consensual act. My sister-in-law had been through so many traumatic things in her life that an unwanted pregnancy could make her life even more difficult. I didn't even want to imagine that someone could have done something to her, I didn't want to believe that my employees could have done something to Soobin's sister or even a stranger who visited the farm for some reason. I felt as guilty as I did, desperate for not having taken care of her properly. After all, Ryujin was under my responsibility and I had failed. 

Thoughtfully, I paced back and forth in the room, for a few moments forgetting that she was there with me. As I was thinking about how to approach the subject, I realized that she was looking at me, looking confused. Frantically rubbing one hand against the other, I approached her slowly and sat down beside her. I took her hands and prevented her from continuing her uncoordinated movement. Ryujin looked at our hands, then looked at me in confusion. Our eyes met, she opened her mouth and closed it without saying anything. I knew how difficult it was now for her to talk about anything, imagine talking about something so intimate. I noticed her pleading look as I felt her squeeze my hands. At that moment there was only one way to find out how things had happened, and that was to ask her. 

"Ryujin." I spoke his name slowly. 

"Yes?" She replied, lowering her head, avoiding looking at me. 

"I need to know—" She interrupted me before I could complete the sentence. 

"I don't know! I don't know!" She said desperately, getting out of bed.