[29] Memories.

[YEJI]

I looked all over the house, including the garage and the pool area, but I couldn't find Ryujin. I was getting desperate not to find her anywhere. Then I remembered I hadn't checked my father's office. Until that moment, I hadn't seen him at the party. My already fast-beating heart raced even faster. I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. I entered as soon as he authorized my entry. Behind the office desk, my father looked at me. A smile appeared on his face. He stood up and came towards me. I couldn't move.

That was the man who raised me, my father. I could see in his eyes how much he loved me, but there was always something more in that gaze. Sometimes, he looked at me with an accusing glance. Sometimes, there was a look of guilt. It was always unpredictable how he would treat me. Affectionate or indifferent. I never knew how to act, so I always waited for him to decide how he saw me at that moment. What hurt my heart the most was that when the accusing eyes looked at me, I felt guilty. And when his guilty gaze looked at me, I also felt guilty. In both situations, I had no idea why I felt that way. It was so desperate that I always felt fragile in his presence. I controlled the tears that always insisted on taking over me.

"Wow! My daughter looks beautiful pregnant." He approached, looking at my belly. Automatically, I put my hand over it, protecting it.

"Are you okay?" He asked, hugging me.

"Yes, I am." I spoke without reciprocating the hug.

"My grandson is growing." He said, smiling. It was the first time in a long time that I didn't see that kind of look. He seemed happy.

"What are you looking for?" He asked, noticing that I was looking over his shoulder.

"Ryujin." I said, seeing that she wasn't there.

"She was here, but she's already gone." He spoke, and I felt my heart stop beating.

"Why was she here?" I asked, horrified.

"Well..." He stopped speaking, making me even more anxious.

"Tell me, Dad. What was she doing here?" I asked, taking a step forward, facing him.

"She got lost and ended up here." He spoke, looking at me curiously.

"How do you know who Ryujin is?" I asked confused when I remembered he had never been with her before.

"Oh. We talked for a few minutes, and she told me her name and that she's your late husband's sister." He replied, and I took a deep breath, trying to control the nervousness.

"And what did you talk to her about?" I asked, suspecting that he was to blame for her disappearance.

"Nothing important." He spoke, returning to his desk. I didn't see his eyes, but I could guarantee that the conversation was not trivial.

"What did you talk about?" I asked, approaching the desk and sitting in front of him.

"About her brother, about her parents." He spoke, keeping his eyes on the laptop screen.

"Just that?" I asked, imagining what else he said to her.

"Just that. It was a quick conversation." He spoke, looking at me with the usual guilty look.