[28] The Gift. [M]

[YEJI]

I looked at the clock, it was past six o'clock, and Ryujin still hadn't returned. I was already in a state of panic. My legs were aching from walking back and forth. I didn't know that it would be a bad idea to give her a car as a present. I still remember the wide smile on her face when she saw her present. Since then, she visited her aunt at least once a month by car. Most of the time I went with her. Today was the second time she went alone. I pushed away any bad thoughts that popped into my head. But my hair was already standing on end with anxiety. Her cell phone was off and this left me with no news.

She always came back before dark, and I had already called her aunt's house. She informed me that Ryujin should be arriving by now, this was three hours ago. I began to think about going after her or calling the police and reporting her disappearance. I picked up my cell phone and started to dial the number when I heard the sound of a car arriving. I walked out the door to the living room and saw Ryujin parking. I sighed with relief trying not to cry. I was almost at the end of my pregnancy and was getting more sensitive every month. Ryujin got out of the car and came over to me with open arms. He hugged me and smoothed my hair. Only then did I realize that I was shaking from head to toe.

"Calm down, I'm here." She spoke squeezing me lightly.

"What took you so long?" I asked relieved that she was there.

"There was an accident on the road. It took them several hours to tow the truck that got stuck in the road. She explained.

"Why couldn't I talk to you?" I asked walking away.

"The cell phone battery is dead and I forgot the charger at home. Let's go inside." She spoke holding my hand.

We went upstairs to the bedroom and I lay down on the bed and put my legs up. Ryujin sat at the foot of the bed and massaged each of them. I ended up sleeping when the tiredness and pain went away due to her massage. I woke up in the middle of the night startled. Ryujin was not in the bed next to me. She was on the balcony looking at the stars. She smiled as she saw me approaching. Her hand reached my belly and smoothed it. I felt a cold wind knock against my body.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked without understanding why she was there.

"I'm sleep deprived. And the sky is beautiful today." She spoke looking up.

"It's been a long time since I've seen so many stars." I commented as I saw the sky glowing with bright little dots.

"My mother used to tell me stories about the gods that live there." She spoke pointing to the sky and smiled. "I miss her."  Ryujin concluded hugging me.

"It's a shame I didn't get to meet her." I spoke imagining that she must have been a dutiful mother.

"You would like her and she would like you." Ryujin spoke smiling. "Yeddeong-ah." Ryujin spoke slowly and looked me in the eye.

"Yes?" I answered and waited for her to continue.

"Tomorrow... Are you going to be okay?" She asked reminding me of the next day's appointment. My heart beat fast as I remembered that I would have to meet with my parents.

"I don't know, but I want to be fine. Besides you'll be there with me." I spoke holding her hand.

"But do we really have to go?" She asked visibly nervous.

"I can't miss my brother's official engagement, can I?" I asked smoothing her cheek.

"True." She concluded by quickly kissing my cheek.

"Besides, Yuna and Yunjin will be waiting for us. It won't be easy for either of them. We have to be there to help them." I concluded making it clear that even if I didn't want to I would have to go.