Unanticipated Arrival

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I had no idea how we wound up in a run-down building In Queens, but I do know that I was out cold for a while after being suffocated and tossed aside like a rag doll. Of course, keeping me from participating in the important decision-making that led to us being here in the first place.

But what I was most curious about was why I was wearing my Neoma suit. Which, by the way, since the last time, was updated to have loose forearms in case my arm turns into a giant claw again.

If this was another recruit thing, I sure as hell don't see a potato sack and an envelope of personal pictures lying anywhere.

"Remember. I'm not your dad right now. You're just some kid who works for me," my dad- well... My not dad said to me.

"Very well, not dad."

The door in front of us was opened by a woman who appeared far too domestic to be a possible recruit. I was, then again, a fifteen-year-old in tights.

The look on her face was undetermined when her eyes bounced between us.

"Good morning, ma'am. Are you May Parker? My name is Tony Stark, this is my associate, Neoma. We're training her to be an Avenger, so I hope her presence doesn't upset you," my dad greeted. I rolled my eyes.

She didn't say a word, still in shock from our sudden appearance.

There was a nudge to my side as my dad cleared his throat.

"Hi! Nice to meet you. Sorry, good manners wasn't in the curriculum I was given," I said with an exaggerated smile.

"May we come in?" My dad asked.

The woman finally snapped out of it and nodded hesitantly. "O-Of course! It's lovely to meet you. Please," she opened the door all the way and gestured us in.

As we walked into the room, my dad leaned down to whisper. "She's hot."

"Huh?" I whispered back with a tilt of my head.

"Uh, please. Take a seat. Would you like some coffee? Walnut loaf?" This Parker woman offered as she closed the door and walked into what looked like a kitchen.

This was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. The situation was new, what with the tower, the compound, and Barton's house.

A large structure with several individual houses separated by walls and an exorbitant number of steps.

This tiny little place combined the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and living room in one place...

I'd seen apartment buildings on TV before, but seeing one in person was bizarre.

"We're actually here for your nephew, Peter Parker?" My dad spoke as he made himself comfortable on the couch.

"We're recruiting kids now?" I mumbled with an eye roll, remembering how difficult it was to get him to put me in a suit.

I stood still by what I assumed was the foyer, looking around at the worn-out walls and small collage of family photos on a padlocked dresser.

"Really?" May asked as she sliced something in the kitchen. "He'll be back in a little while. Why don't you make yourselves at home?"

I glanced at my dad, who had his feet up on the coffee table. "Way ahead of you," I grumbled.

I found myself peeking into one of the slightly open doors and noticing a small bedroom full of what looked like gadgets and posters.

"Uh, this is your nephew's room?" I asked, looking back at the woman.

She nodded.

My hand landed on the doorknob, "May I?"

"Go ahead," she smiled.

★ ☆ ☽ Peter Parker ☾ ☆ ★

The elevator dinged as Peter stepped off with a DVD player in hand and earphones plugged in.

A key was pulled out of his back pocket as he neared his apartment door, pushing it open and waltzing in.

"Hey, May," he greeted with a grunt as he dropped his backpack onto the floor.

"Hey!" May called from the couch.

He put the DVD player on the table before entering the kitchen.

"How was school today?" She asked casually.

"It was okay," Peter answered. "This crazy car parked outside..." He trailed off, stopping in his tracks when his eyes landed on Tony Stark sitting next to his aunt.

"Oh, Mr Parker," Tony, with a slice of the walnut loaf in hand, acknowledged him like he didn't notice he was there at first.

Peter stammered. "Um..." His earphones were taken out. "What- what are you doing..." He laughed excitedly before getting a hold of himself and crossing his arms over his chest.

"Hey! Uh, I-I-I'm Peter," he stuttered out as his arms fell to his sides again.

"Tony," he nodded.

"What are you- what are you-... What are you doing here?" Peter's arms were once again crossed over his chest.

A pure nervous wreck.

"It's about time we met. You've been getting my emails, right?" Tony asked.

Peter hesitated. "Yeah..."

"Right?"

"Yeah... Regarding the..." Peter paused.

"You didn't tell me about the grant," May chimed in.

"About the grant," Peter finished his earlier statement as if he knew how to end it all along.

"The September Foundation," Tony clarified.

"Right."

"Yeah. Remember when you applied?" Tony pushed on.

"Yeah?" Peter agreed hesitantly.

"I approved, so now we're in business," Tony took a sip from a fancy-looking, bright blue teacup.

"But you didn't tell me anything. What's up with that?" May asked. "You keeping secrets from me now?"

Peter flinched. "Well I just- I just know how much you love surprises, so I thought I would let you know..." He swayed in his spot with his hands behind his back like a sheepish little kid.

"Anyway, what did I apply for?" He asked Tony.

"That's what I'm here to hash out," Tony instantly responded like he knew exactly what Peter was gonna say.

"Okay. Hash it- hash it out, okay," Peter nodded.

"It's so hard for me to believe that she's someone's aunt," Tony commented.

May sighed with a forced laugh. "Yeah, well, we come in all shapes and sizes, you know?"

"This walnut date loaf is exceptional."

"Let me just stop you there," Peter cut in.

"Yeah?"

"Is this grant like got money involved or whatever? No?" He asked.

"Yeah, it's pretty well funded," Tony shrugged.

"Yeah? Wow."

"Look who you're talking to," Tony then turned to May. "Can I have five minutes with him?"

"Sure. Isn't she in-" May gestured to Peter's room. Tony raised his hand as if to tell her not to say anything about it.

Peter furrowed his eyebrows. "She?"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───