Neoma's Debut

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The sight of the helicarrier made me forget about my numbing body. A glimmer of hope arose within me, and I forgot about their previous plan to blow themselves up. 

All that mattered now was getting these civilians to safety. 

"This way! Careful!"

Family after family ran past me as my eyes scanned the area.

We couldn't leave anyone behind.

Not one.

When a lifeboat was filled, we guide them to the next and so on.

"Neoma, status update."

I tapped my visor. "So far, we're in the clear," I responded to my dad.

"Roger-... Crap."

Comms went static.

"Iron Man?" I paused.

"Dad?"

Nothing.

Then suddenly, a loud explosion sounded off and everyone around me started panicking.

The town square quickly turned into pandemonium.

I turned to the source of the blast and spotted my dad zooming towards a falling lifeboat.

One of its thrusters had been taken out.

Iron Man closed in on the boat, ready to catch it when a bot cut him off, tackling him away.

"Fuck!"

On instinct, I ran for the edge of the floating island and threw my arms back, launching myself up into the air and towards the boat.

The wind's roaring in my ears couldn't drown out the scared passengers.

When I got close enough, I put my arms out to my sides and produced the biggest bubble I'd ever had, grabbing the boat mid-air with every ounce of strength I had left.

And I was exhausted as quickly as I took action.

Like I had just been shot in my spine.

My limbs felt disconnected and I was choking on air.

"Jesus Christ!"

Comms came back on but all I could hear was my own heavy breathing.

"Hang on just a little longer, Peanut!"

I cried out in pure agony as my body started to burn up.

"Let go, Neoma!"

Without any hesitation, I dropped my arms and allowed myself to fall.

In the corner of my eye —and through small gaps in my hair—, my dad had caught the boat right as the bubble dispersed.

My vision darkened while I continued to fall.

Rhodey calling out to me was the last thing I heard before blacking out.

"Hang on, buddy. I got you!"

●    ◉    ◎    ◈    ◎    ◉    ●

"Come on, kid, wake up. Dammit!"

My ears twitched as the echoey sound of Steve's voice stirred me awake.

I rapidly blinked my eyes open only to squeeze them shut at the bright beam of sunlight.