𝐕. five, not four

─── chapter five.
❛ FIVE, NOT FOUR ❜

❝ LUCKY THE GROUND WAS SO SOFT

LUCKY THE GROUND WAS SO SOFT.

"i thought he was dead for sure."

"but he didn't even break his glasses."

emmeline had calmed down enough by then, leaving snuffles to go back into hiding while she went to visit harry, who, apparently fell off his broom during the dementor swarm. on the walk to the hospital wing, hermione and ron had informed her about harry's nimbus two-thousand, which had been smashed to pieces by the whomping willow.

"that was the scariest thing i've ever seen in my life."

harry's eyes snapped open. he was lying in the hospital wing. the gryffindor quidditch team, spattered with mud from head to foot, was gathered around his bed. ron, emmeline, and hermione were also there, looking as though they'd just climbed out of a swimming pool.

"harry!" said fred, who looked extremely white underneath, the mud. "how're you feeling?"

"what happened?" harry asked, sitting up so suddenly they all gasped.

"you fell off," answered fred. "must've been — what — fifty feet?"

"we thought you'd died," said alicia, who was shaking.

"you feeling okay, mate?" emmeline asked as she looked down at him, his hair matted with mud.

hermione made a small, squeaky noise. her eyes were extremely bloodshot.

"but the match," insisted harry, not answering anyone's questions. "what happened? are we doing a replay?"

no one said anything. the horrible truth sank into harry like a stone.

"we didn't — lose?"

"diggory got the Snitch," said george. "just after you fell. he didn't realize what had happened. when he looked back and saw you on the ground, he tried to call it off. wanted a rematch. but they won fair and square... even wood admits it."

emmeline stopped herself from commenting that her guess was on point for the sake of the gryffindor team, who was looking grim and shaken.

"where is wood?" said harry, suddenly realizing he wasn't there.

"still in the showers," said fred. "we think he's trying to drown himself."

'not the first time,' emmeline thought.

harry put his face to his knees, his hands gripping his hair. fred grabbed his shoulder and shook it roughly.

"c'mon, harry, you've never missed the snitch before."

"there had to be one time you didn't get it," said george.

"it's not over yet," said fred. "we lost by a hundred points."