𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. slashes & matches

─── chapter eight.
❛ SLASHES & MATCHES ❜

ALL EMMELINE REMEMBERED BEFORE AWAKING IN A COLD SWEAT, was a mess of black matted hair and manic grin

ALL EMMELINE REMEMBERED BEFORE AWAKING IN A COLD SWEAT, was a mess of black matted hair and manic grin. she clutched at her chest, heart thudding against her ribcage for what felt like hours before it stopped.

this wasn't emmeline's first vision.

no, she'd had her fair share of them. although none were as stomach churning as this one. with her breaths caught in her throat, she got up and decided to go down to the kitchens. not a very sensible idea, since there were plenty of dangers outside her room.

emmeline had begun to think her father was right about hogwarts not being as safe as everyone thought.

her father. emmeline hadn't heard back from him yet. she often got antsy when her father didn't write back for longer than a day, and neptune hadn't been anywhere in sight.

often times the ravenclaw had to remind herself that her father wasn't hopeless, simply out of touch with the world. they'd decided that 'out of touch with the world' seemed like a better description than 'gone mad with grief' — which colt walker hadn't.

with a twinge in her head, emmeline stood up to use the washroom. surely she'd feel better after a fresh shower and breakfast.

FORESEEING THE FUTURE WASN'T SUCH A GREAT THING AT TIMES. it left a gnawing nervousness in the pit of emmeline's stomach, and it made her food hardly digestible.

emmeline was not one for skipping breakfast, but whispers of sirius black getting inside the gryffindor tower made her loose her appetite. not to mention ron, who she had stopped being upset at for fear of his safety, had been the one to see him.

of course, after the initial shock, ron had become an instant celebrity. for the first time in his life, people were paying more attention to him than to harry, and it was clear that ron was rather enjoying the experience. though still severely shaken by the night's events, he was happy to tell anyone who asked what had happened, with a wealth of detail.

"... i was asleep, and i heard this ripping noise — i thought it was in my dream, you know? but then there was this draft... i woke up and one side of the hangings on my bed had been pulled down... i rolled over... and i saw him standing over me... like a skeleton, with loads of filthy hair... holding this great long knife, must've been twelve inches... and he looked at me, and i looked at him, and then i yelled, and he scampered."

"why, though?" ron added to harry and emmeline as the group of second year girls who had been listening to his chilling tale departed. "why did he run?"

apparently, harry had been wondering the same thing. why had black, having got the wrong bed, not silenced ron and proceeded to harry? black had proved twelve years ago that he didn't mind murdering innocent people, and this time he had been facing five unarmed boys, four of whom were asleep.