𝐗𝐈𝐈. godfathers

─── chapter twelve.
❛ GODFATHERS ❜

EMMELINE HAD NEVER BEEN PART OF A STRANGER GROUP

EMMELINE HAD NEVER BEEN PART OF A STRANGER GROUP. crookshanks led the way down the stairs; her, lupin, and pettigrew went next, looking like entrants in a six-legged race. next came professor snape, drifting creepily along, his toes hitting each stair as they descended, held up by his own wand, which was being pointed at him by sirius. harry, ron, and hermione brought up the rear.

getting back into the tunnel was difficult. emmeline, lupin, and pettigrew had to turn sideways to manage it; lupin still had pettigrew covered with his wand. emmeline could see them edging awkwardly along the tunnel in single file. crookshanks was still in the lead. harry went right after Black, who was still making Snape drift along ahead of them; he kept bumping his lolling head on the low ceiling.

lupin kept turning, as though wanting to say something to the raven.caw but couldn't put it in words. at last, he gave a shaky exhale and spoke aloud.

"i don't know if you were aware, but — your mother and father appointed me as your godfather." he said quietly to emmeline.

she blinked, unaware of this. "i didn't know, but i'm glad. you're a good person, so..."

"and also, about your mother's death..." he began in a pained voice, but emmeline cut him off.

"i know she was bitten by greyback. saw the trial papers years ago, since dad wouldn't tell me anything about her." she hummed.

"you were with me, you know. before your mother was bitten — she and colt trusted me with you, even though you were a child and i had no idea how to care for one. i think i might've created your chocolate addiction." he smiled, recalling fond memories of a one-year-old emmeline in his arms, face and hands smeared in chocolate.

"i always wondered who i got it from — guess it was you." emmeline grinned. "a very nice trait, if i do say so myself."

"emmeline, i'm terribly sorry for not telling you sooner —"

"it's all in the past, now. as long as you visit home sometimes, all is forgiven." the ravenclaw waved off.

"do you think colt resents me?" lupin voiced out.

"i think the only person that occupies his 'most hated' list is greyback, so there's nothing for you to worry about. plus, seeing an old friend might help him feel less guilt over losing everything."

they did not speak again until they had reached the end of the tunnel. crookshanks darted up first; he had evidently pressed his paw to the knot on the trunk, because lupin, emmeline, and pettigrew had no trouble climbing out.