𝐈𝐗. exam rush hour

─── chapter nine.
❛ EXAM RUSH HOUR ❜

‎ ‎

THE SEASON OF O.W.L.s EXAMS HAD FINALLY COME UPON THE THIRD YEARS, and the rest of the older years. while some prepared for their N.E.W.T.s, emmeline was busy trying to pass her exams.

of course, it wasn't too difficult. mostly thanks to her mother's passed on intellect, emmeline had little to no trouble answering questions, whether they were potions (an unfair class) or history of magic (a boring class), the ravenclaw passed with good marks.

in between her testing periods, emmeline made a point to practice her spells for defense against the dark arts and her charms (heavy on the boggart, since the first time she saw it her wand wouldn't work, and she wasn't disguised as harry). finally, the time came for defense against the dark arts, and the blue eyed girl met up with her three gryffindor friends.

professor lupin had compiled the most unusual exam any of them had ever taken; a sort of obstacle course outside in the sun, where they had to wade across a deep paddling pool containing a grindylow, cross a series of potholes full of red caps, squish their way across a patch of marsh while ignoring misleading directions from a hinkypunk, then climb into an old trunk and battle with a new boggart.

emmeline did great, considering her doubts on the boggart. however, with her eyes screwed shut to avoid seeing any dead bodies, she successfully managed to confuse the boggart and turn it into a bunch of ugly garden gnomes that constantly bumped into each other.

"excellent, emmeline," lupin muttered as emmeline climbed out of the trunk, grinning. "full marks."

harry, just as emmeline, received full marks. although he finished faster than she did. ron did very well until he reached the hinkypunk, which successfully confused him into sinking waist-high into the quagmire. hermione did everything perfectly until she reached the trunk with the boggart in it. after about a minute inside it, she burst out again, screaming.

"hermione!" said lupin, startled. "what's the matter?"

"p-p-professor mcgonagall!" hermione gasped, pointing into the trunk. "she-she said i'd failed everything!"

it took a little while to calm hermione down. when at last she had regained a grip on herself, she, harry, ron, and emmeline went back to the castle. ron was still slightly inclined to laugh at hermione's Boggart, but an argument was averted by the sight that met them on the top of the steps.

cornelius fudge, sweating slightly in his pinstriped cloak, was standing there staring out at the grounds. he started at the sight of harry, and shot emmeline a very curious look.

"hello there, harry!" he said. "just had an exam, i expect? nearly finished?"

"yes," said harry. the other three, not being on speaking terms with the minister of magic, hovered awkwardly in the background.