Chapter Forty | Secret

What started out as lessons to teach a poor human man to climb a tree turned quickly into something more. The village of Plumshire was slowly becoming more than just another stop along to way into the journey to the unknown. Angelina didn't even bother engaging with the old hag or even try to hide that she was wearing men's clothing when she left to go to the orchard. The only secret was that she never told her brothers that she was meeting with someone.

They were always so busy doing their things that she just didn't want to bother them. She knew that they would inevitably spoil her fun. It had happened more than once when they had caught her with a man. It was like they expected her to live the life of a nun while they went out to enjoy the passions of life. The reality was they all discovered the pleasures around the same time when they came to the mainland. So, there shouldn't be different rules for her, but apparently there was.

Stupid brothers.

"You are late, George," Angelina teased. They were both early and eager for each others company. As the winter turned to spring and the leaves returned to the trees, Angelina and George moved from meeting among the trees to meeting at an abandoned garden shed on the far outskirts of the orchards.

"And here I thought I would actually get here before you for once," George replied, smiling. He pulled off his white gloves and gently traced the curve of Angelina's cheek before giving her a proper greeting, a kiss.

Angelina dragged George towards the abandoned shed that they had made their own. Getting out of their clothes wasn't difficult thanks to the easy access outfits they had been wearing for a while now. They were easily lost in their passion for the day before Angelina needed to leave to run some errands.

"I wish we had more time," George said, playing with the ends of Angelina's hair. She was currently buttoning up her shirt, while George laid on the cot, undressed with no desire to move.

"Time is fleeting, we have memories and that's more important," Angelina replied truthfully. When you had endless amount of time on your hand, it was one thing that slowly lost its value.

With a quick peck on George's mouth, Angelina left. It took her longer than necessary to get back to the house since there were many humans milling around in the orchards today. She managed to stay out of sight for most part and the few who spotted her, threw looks of disgust in her direction.

"You reek of a man," Theron commented, as Angelina walked in through the kitchen entrance. Theron was casually some sort of soup at the table.

"Are we still pretending that I'm the most innocent of them all?" Angelina rolled her eyes, not bothering to stop and entertain him. The age-old argument was not worth her time since all they did was go round and round in circles.

Angelina took her time bathing, before dressing in the most suitable dress style of this decade. She never bothered to keep up with all the frills and ribbons, but Rafael always made sure she got the best closet every season. Her handmaiden of the moment was the luckiest of them all as she got given Angelina's out of season clothes. It helped keep them sweet and quiet about Angelina's other activities.

The dress she wore was rather plain and perfect for the shopping she planned on doing. It helped her blend in and stopped vendors from giving her extra attention. The spring market festival was today, and everyone was selling anything they could. It was an amusing way to pass the time and enjoy watching joy and light that humanity had to offer.

Angelina lost her gloves along the way through the hustle and bustle. She purchased a small trinket for a girl who was dazzled by it and went along buying one of everything at each stall. Her brothers gave her enough allowance that she didn't really care or know what to do with it. Her maid carried everything and was lucky to even be gifted a few ribbons along the way. While the old hag was terrible, this girl had been on her side and given her the truths about the household affairs. Namely the old hag's attempts to get her married and pushed out the picture. It was the only reason that Angelina spared some time to antagonise her. Angelina sent her maid to go return all the shopping to the carriage while she waited at the last stall. She knew he was here and the last thing she needed was to be caught with a maid.

"Today is indeed a blessed day," George whispered to her from behind, inappropriately close.

Angelina laughed, "Only you would find me in a dress a blessing. I prefer something a little less..."

George groaned, then changed his tune, "the biggest bunch of flowers for the most beautiful lady," he instructed the stall worker, while handing over some money. He tugged lightly at a loose strand of hair, before stepping away to a more appropriate distance.

"Thank you." Angelina gave him a secret smile that was only reserved for him. Then he left, knowing that it was already risky to approach her in a public space.

Angelina smiled, smelling the flowers. She watched George disappear into the crowd, not before Theron appeared, bumping him roughly. Her smile turned into a frown. It was a clear warning to George: stay away.

Would he listen to the warning?

They never listened to stay out of her business. Angelina growled lowly as she saw Theron salute in her direction rather smugly. The warning might've been childish for him, but Angelina might lose George from it.

Her maid returned, interrupting her from her glaring contest with Theron. Only time would tell whether she still had his company or not.

~*~

Double standards and all that jazz.

IG: randomsweetstuff