Chapter Sixteen | Life

Micah had to spend a few hours convincing Sandra of the gift he had, when she woke up. He managed to catch her before he landed on the ground, so she only had a few scraps and superficial bruises. After centuries, shifting was as simple as his second nature, so he let her Sandra command him around for a while until she slowed down when he was in human form.

Then they decided to have a little fun in the forest.

The weight of one of his biggest secrets had been removed from his shoulders and the time Sandra and Micah spent together somehow increased in pleasure and fulfilment. Micah may have tainted her with his darkness, but she was still brighter than any star he had ever seen. There were still some unspeakable secrets that Micah kept close to his chest.

Some burdens were far too great to share with anyone.

Micah had received a message while walking through the busy streets. At the sight of Sandra's words, his smiled. She had taken her annual leave, and this gave Micah and Sandra some more time to spend, without the constant buzz of the hospital looming overhead. The joy quickly wiped from Micah when he smelt something familiar, or rather someone.

Unfinished business.

He quickly changed his destination, crossing the road. He knew what he wanted, and he knew that sometimes humans got what they deserved. Micah preferred to save life but there were certain occasions such as now that lead him to do the opposite. The gift of a beast left a certain ruthless edge that wouldn't allow him to leave his prey alive.

Micah caught sight of the mugger from many nights ago. The man seemed undisturbed by his surroundings. Nothing like a man who should watch his back after getting a mark of death. The man blended in with the crowd well, but Micah watched him carefully, waiting for his opening. It wasn't long before the man slipped into an alleyway. The first mistake was disappearing from public eye. Micah followed him down the dingy path, unbothered by the sketchy surroundings. He had seen and lived in worse places.

The man didn't even both to look over his shoulder when it easily became known that Micah was following him. The arrogance of a man was easily his downfall. Micah was sure that he had his knife tucked away under his clothes. Not that it would be helping any more than it did last time. The man led them both to a dead-end.

The trap was laid for Micah, but he was a pig who had invited a wolf into his home. Micah didn't waste any more time. Before the mugger could confront him, Micah had his face pressed against the wall. The slow swinging movement of the knife was easily stopped by Micah. That didn't stop him from try to struggle his way out of Micah's grip.

"Thánatos," Micah whispered, knowing very well he would recognise the same word he had said the faithful he stabbed Micah. The struggling paused, before he tried shouting. The fool had led them to a deserted spot where no one would care about his screams, so Micah allowed him the privilege to plead.

This worthless scum had threatened Sandra's life. Micah eyes flashed gold. The idea of losing Sandra was enough to make him snap the mugger's arm and stab him with his own knife in the jugular vein.

Blood splatted.

Life drained.

Danger perished.

Micah's eyes returned to the original colour of green when the heartbeat was no longer heard. Usually the sound of silence was followed with a void of guilt and disappointed but this time, that same smile as earlier blossomed. While he valued human life, some people didn't deserve the gift. His work here was done. Micah needed to shower.

~*~

Sandra had barely opened the door of her apartment before Micah picked her up and shut the door behind them. He pressed her against the door, kissing her feverishly. They were intoxicated with each other's touch, pulled each other's clothes off, desperate for skin to skin contact until Micah's phone rang.