Chapter Seventeen | Moment

PRESENT TIME

Sandra loved being a doctor. She had always loved helping people. So, when Micah had called her, distraught about Rafael, she was ready to drop everything to give a hand. Usually she wouldn't mind making a commitment, but now that she was here in this tight spot, she was starting to taste something akin to regret. She had been visiting the Lykos Estate as often as her job would allow it.

She had moved to different hospitals and eventually settled on a private practice. Sometimes she wondered if Micah had been pulling the strings behind her back for her to get so lucky but then she decided, she deserved the best, even if it was from Micah. This would be his good karma. The Lykos Estate was similar to the home that Micah had taken her to many moons ago. The forest like garden served as extra protection and privacy for the house within. There were two properties on the land and the first time that Sandra had driven in, she had needed directions from Micah, now she drove around without a single thought.

Sandra had been monitoring Aiko's recovery, she had tried to once refer Aiko to Micah as her presence seemed a little redundant since Micah's experience as a doctor spanned over centuries, which paled in comparison to her experience. The claim that she had anything to do with them waking up was a fluke. A mystery with answers that lied with Aiko and Rafael.

Sandra grabbed her handbag and walked to Aiko's room. There was plenty of the latest medical equipment available for her to use, as well as the patient file. Aiko was awaiting her on her bedside as both of them were used to her frequent visits. One thing that always left Sandra on edge was the constant hovering of Rafael in the room.

"Good evening, Aiko. How are you feeling today?" Sandra ignored Rafael. She preferred to not interact with him at all.

Aiko smiled, "I feel at peace today."

Over the past month, Aiko had been recovering from dehydration, malnourishment, a mixture of bruises and whatever freaky drug that had been in her system. Her recovery rate was remarkable. Sandra had dropped most of the regular check-up routine as to do the same tests everyday was redundant. She had been monitoring her blood pressure and weight.

"That's great," Sandra replied. Sandra worked efficiently and effect, only talking when necessarily. No matter how frequently she did this routine, she was always on edge around Rafael.

A death threat wasn't exactly a friendly welcoming.

Sandra had got rid of every materialistic item associated with the Lykos brothers, except the lipstick that Rafael had used to leave the message. The blunt lipstick served as a reminder of the target on her back. It wasn't difficult to find out the meaning. All she needed to do was ask the right people the right questions and their reaction was enough to tell her what she needed to know.

"Aiko, I think we can shift to monthly check ups now, as you appear to be in good health," Sandra concluded. There was no reason to prolong the excess visits.

"That's wonderful news," Aiko replied, looking at Rafael for his response. Rafael just nodded, giving nothing away. Sandra wouldn't even pretend to understand the dynamics of their relationship. She just tried her best to stay out it. She took their interaction as her cue to leave.

Sandra was returning Aiko's file to Micah's office, praying that he wasn't inside. Meeting Micah again had brought out emotions she didn't want to handle. Micah had made their bed and now they both had to lay in it. She wasn't given much of a choice at how everything ended, but she now had a choice on how to act on her emotions. Sandra entered an empty office. Hopefully she would be able to escape unnoticed and only have to return in a months' time.

Luck was not in the air tonight.

Micah was walking up the same stairs that Sandra was walking down. She gave him a curt nod when he made eye contact with her, which Sandra broke quickly. She passed him when he decided to speak.

"Sandra, can do you have time to talk?" Micah turned around to face her. He was a few steps above her. Sandra tensed.

"No, I don't have time." She recalled the last time they had been in the kitchen together before Rafael disturbed them. She hated to think what would've happened if he had come in.

She would never have time for Micah again.

"Well maybe next time," Micah suggested, without any hope. He could see how eager she was to leave his presence.

Sandra hummed and continued down the stairs. She didn't get far before Rafael appeared.

"Dr Williams, a moment in the library." Rafael didn't ask, he demanded and expected her to do his bidding. Sandra had no choice but to meet him in the library. Perhaps it was time for him to go through with the promise he made many years ago.

"Dr Williams, I'm glad you could join me," Rafael said when Sandra entered the library. She had a glass of whiskey in his hand as he leaned against a massive oak desk.

"What can I do to help you?" Sandra replied. She wasn't sure how to address Rafael to his face. She had heard some men refer to him as Alpha and then other's as Mr Lykos, but none of them seemed right. The relationship they held was of a different sort.

He was the hunter and she was the prey.

"I was wondering about Aiko's health. Is everything really as well as you say they are?" Rafael acted nonchalant, despite him actually caring. This was a first for him and he wasn't sure what to do.

"I have no reason to lie." Sandra knew they were on different ends but as far she was concerned Aiko was an innocent and she didn't deserve to suffer for the sins of Rafael. As far as her experience showed, Sandra was sure that Aiko was in good health, despite the speedy recovery.

"Are you sure about that?" Rafael pressured.

"You were in the room, why don't you make an educated guess," Sandra sarcastically said. If she had been lying, then Rafael would've been able to tell. She recalled Micah telling her about the heightened senses that gave advances when it came to reading people.

"Well I see some things have changed." Rafael referred to the night that they first met. Sandra had shut up when she figured out that Rafael was the same caller who bossed around Micah around. She had kept her mouth shut since he had woken up, but she just didn't care.

"Well not all of us have the pleasure of slow character development," Sandra insulted him. She was pushing him, testing her boundaries. It seemed that her life was intertwined with the Lykos family once again and it looked like that she would only be leaving if she was dead.

"I can still kill you," Rafael threatened.

"Well that's going to be your problem to deal with and not mine." Just as she predicted. They glared at each other, Sandra waiting for Rafael to make a move to kill her. Instead he took a sip of whiskey, but nothing more. Sandra didn't bother greeting as she rushed out the estate.

She had danced with death and survived, perhaps she wouldn't be so lucky next time.

~*~

When do you think Rafael will go through his promise of death?

I will post a teaser for the next chapter on my social media<3