Chapter Thirty | Cards

Rafael managed to negotiate with Talia for a little more than just collecting Theron. Theron's location was easy enough to find since he was, for once, among the crowds. The man was busy enjoying the high life in Las Vegas. Micah didn't seem surprised by this revelation. Talia's life was a little easier since she didn't have to track him down back to the island. Suitcases packed, a private plan boarded and one check-in later, Talia was in Vegas. She wasn't alone as Micah had opted to join her on this journey.

Talia didn't trust him at all.

They made no attempt to communicate with each other, as the plan was laid out before the journey. Talia opened her suitcase, each item carefully picked out to blend into the nightlife of the Las Vegas. The shimmering red cocktail dress was the perfect colour to catch her target's attention. The car waiting for her downstairs to take her to an elite casino with an invite that Rafael has secured. Talia straightened out her dress and took a deep breath when she arrived. She had faked her confidence many times before but the thought of having her life dangling over the edge was enough to make anyone want to puke.

Heads turned when she walked into the room. There were many tables spread across the rooms. Each one had their own game going on. By the looks of things, the games were far to private to just walk up to and join. A man dressed in uniform checked her invite before pointing her to the table she needed to join. There was no one else there yet.

She was early, or perhaps she was the unsuspecting prey.

Talia sat down and accepted a flute of champagne. She took the time to observe her surroundings. A few men tried to catch her eye, but she ignored them. This wasn't their night. The room held a light chatter, nothing as loud and as wild as the other casinos around. A few men in suits entered the room, oblivious to her as they approached the table. Their joking and laughter attracted the attention of those around them. However, Talia saw someone else.

A man with a striking resemblance to Rafael and Micah. The only difference was that his hair was tied in a man-bun, and he hadn't shaved in a few days. Micah was right, she would know who he was when she saw him. She more than knew him, but this wasn't the right time to think about that.

"Are you lost?" another man asked, snapping up her attention from Theron. The man was dressed in a suit, his hair slicked back with way too much gel and his cologne was overpowering to the point that Talia could smell with the table between them.

"Is that some pick-up line?"

"I don't think you're supposed to be here." His feathers were ruffled by her flippancy to her. He was so used to people falling over to please him with a flash of a cash. Talia recognised the man from one of her many files. He was the right-hand man to criminal lord. Rafael often made deals with that operation, and it was her job to keep track of weaknesses. Mike's weakness was card games.

Talia flashed him the card, unintimidated, "I am exactly where I'm supposed to be. The real question is, are you?"

"Well..." He glanced around looking for backup to get her removed from the premises. Not that it would happen, seeing as her invite an extended to the Lykos family.

"Give her a break Mike, she's here for the same reason as us. To lose some money." Despite Theron's words, there was a underlying tone in his voice that he knew she was here for something more. Talia flashed him a polite smile, as a dealer came to the table.

"You never lose money, man," Mike complained, as he took his seat.

The game began as they were dealt cards. Since Talia knew that Rafael will be picking up the tab on whatever debt she racked up, she made sure to pile in the chips and lose each hand. It was far easier to do so when she didn't care about the stakes. Mike was constantly sweating with each hand as the stakes kept being raised again and again. It was as if both Theron and Talia were playing another game without him as he was ignored for most part.

Talia knew exactly about the curiosity that was itching beneath Theron's skin. His green eyes with speckles of gold were constantly scanning her for something to give away her position. She needed a different sort of poker face with his constant attention. She had to hold her cards close to her chest or well the outcome that Micah had described wasn't a lovely image.

"I need to make a phone call," Mike said, calling for a break at the end of a round. Talia wasn't keeping track of how long they had been playing and there wasn't exactly a supply of clocks in this room. The dealer left them alone after Theron signalled to him to give them privacy. It wasn't unheard of people to be left alone to make other sorts of deals.

"Are we really going to play this game?"

"Which one?" Talia took a sip of her second champagne. This she was keeping count of. The risk was too high for her to get drunk.

"The one where you pretend you don't know me." Theron studied her, if she though he was giving her attention before, then the intensity was now tenfold. There was no room for the mistake of hesitation.

"I never did that Theron. I recognised you the second you walked in; I wasn't sure of you recognised me." This was not a lie. Though she had been initially shocked to see him, some of Micah's words made way more sense now.

"I will always recognise you Tally," he promised but Talia found it rather threatening. Perhaps she would never be fully free from the Lykos web of deceit.

"Well then that's settled."

"This is far from settled, what game are you playing?" Talia hoped that Mike would return soon because there are questions that she wasn't able to fully answer. Her mission was simple, get Theron to the room and leave the rest to Micah.

"Do you need the dealer to explain the rules of poker to you again?"

He growled.

They both smelt Mike before they heard him. Talia watched Theron wrinkle his nose, while she wanted to cover her nose too. Theron backed off, shifting some of his attention towards Mike again. The dealer returned and they resumed playing.

Talia covered her yawn with the back of her hand. The invoice that would be send to Rafael was probably enough to make him frown so now it was time for her to put her plan in motion. She called it a night, knowing that Theron and Mike were tied up in the game. She pulled another card from her bra and slide it towards Theron.

"You know where to find me," she whispered low enough that Mike could not hear. She knew exactly what the proposal would look like to anyone else, just she planned. She left as fast as she could without causing alarm. The clock was ticking, and she needed to get to the room where Micah was situated before Theron came for her.

Once again, she was prey to Theron.

~*~

Twitter: gossippikachu

Instagram: randomsweetstuff