Chapter One | Death

The darkness reigned inside many individuals, but some more than others. The illicit need to inflict pain and suffering upon those who crossed path was enough motivation to move forward and end lives without a thought.

Life.

What a fragile thing indeed.

And tonight, many would pay for the hindrance in his business. He would remind them all why he was on top and how he was simply going to end their lives, as promised to those who crossed him.

Rafael Lykos watched from the shadows how those pawns stupidly carried out the orders of those who had been given a tiny leeway to have a little power. The dumb fucks were given an inch and now they were trying to take a mile like he wouldn't find out.

He lurked on the docks, watching thirty men trying to negotiate a deal on the behalf of a the Russian and the Germans. He could clearly hear every single word that spilled from their mouths. The Russians were even lying about the numbers, as they attempted to boast about power.

Power that they did not have control of.

Power that they did not understand.

Power that they did not have.

The clouds rumbled, easily disguising the first shot of the night that was fired. A silly warning shot. They would continue to squabble until they were blue. Isn't that the colour of dead bodies in the cold?

Rafael clenched his fists and growled. His wolf was close to the surface, as his eyes flickering between a gold and green, as he scanned the docks for any signs of threats. His muscles coiled, ready to strike at any moment.

He was just waiting for them to make the deal. The final nail in their coffins before he wiped them out. He wasn't sure if he should get rid of everyone from bottom up or keep the devils he knows around for a little longer.

He had seen heads of mafia families change so frequently over the years that he barely kept track of who was currently in charge. The human life span was so short that in a blink of his eye another would replace the previous one.

Disposable.

"Do we have a deal?" The threatening had finally died down, and slowly they were making progress towards the end. The hammer was in place to knock the final nail into the coffin.

"Deal." The two vagabonds that seemed to be in charge spat on their hands and shook. They both seemed so please with themselves, as they sealed their fates, unbeknownst to the darkness that lurked on the edge. One of them took a key out and handed it to the other.

Rafael took this moment as his cue to enter their little gathering. He slowly clapped to congratulate them on his deal. No one noticed until the rumbling of the clouds stopped and he was close enough for all thirty men to notice at the same time.

At first, many took a step back, their heads darting back and forth to see the closest escape route as they expected more people. However they relaxed when everyone realised this  lone stranger was outnumber.

The odds were definitely in their favour... if he was human.

"So the Russians and the Germans are trying to take me down?" Rafael spoke calmly, unaffected by the number of guns that had been raised at him. Those bullets won't stop him. They never did.

"Shoot him," the one with the key commanded everyone. Multiple bullets were shot where Rafael stood, except he was gone before the bullets could hit him. He snapped the neck of the guy who had ordered the assault and already had finished off another two guys before that body hit the ground. He started the partly shift, his claws coming into action and sliced through the men with simple efficiency, that he had gained over thousands of years. After all, what was thirty men when he had defeated armies before.

Just like the flash of a lightening, the men fell to their deaths. Rafael was undisturbed by the death that surrounded him. He was only serving out what he had promised.

He embraced death like an old friend, anyway.

Death had followed him all these years and would continue to do so through his whole immortal life. There was no point in wasting an thought on them, the same way a human did not worry about an ant. He simply strode over to a certain body and plucked the key from his cold hands.

The lowlifes literally had the crate number attached on a key ring. A neon sign and just more proof of their stupidity. It wasn't hard to manoeuvre through the docks to find the crate and see what was inside.

Usually, he would beg someone else to check it out but his wolf nudged him forward. His instinct drove him to do so and as someone who had lived for thousands of years, he knew one thing; Never ignore your instinct.

Just as he unlocked the door, the heavens decided to finally weep. Whether it was tears of joy or sadness for the blood split, he could never quite figure out, even after all these years.

Instead he decided to concentrate on the crate in front of him. It didn't seem to possess the usual smell of any sort of drug. The creaky door swung open.

No drugs.

No guns.

Just one lone girl, not enough for human trafficking.

Rafael approached the human girl carefully, and found her curled up in the corner in a dirty white gown. He could hear a very faint pulse, almost as if she was on the edge of death.

That would not do. 

There was something off about the whole deal tonight. Something that had dragged him here and the only way he would be able to find out more would be to either visit the heads of those two Mafias or from this girl.

Rafael scooped the shivering girl into his arms. Her dark hair shielding the view of her face, her breathes shallow and her body unresponsive.

He needed to move quick, before his friend death decided to collect someone else. The pouring rain didn't help her case as he held her as close as possible to try and shield her from the cold rain. He sped back to his car and dumped the girl in the back seat. There was no time to be gentle. No time to waste.

He needed to return home and just hoped she survived the slippery drive as her pulse slowed down second by second.

~*~
Let's try this werewolf business again.