Prologue

This is my first story let me know how I did, most of this stuff is going to be for worldbuilding

---

The night never seem to ever quiet in the red light district. The gossiping of women, chattering of men and the bustling crowds above the ground. The red lanterns, beautiful women and lustful gazes from hungry men seem to never end here. The smell of perfumes and food filled the atmosphere with excitement. 

Though the red lantern was no laughing matter as it held many secrets under its mask of excitement and lust. Underground, underneath the steps and floorboards of all the houses lies something more sinister and bared its evil and ugly fangs to those willing to step in the jaws of it.

The black market.

It was no surprise that this was going to exist in the red lantern district, plenty of beautiful women willing to exchange a night of pleasure for a bag of gold. So plenty of illegal things occur here by some of the said men, a man's fate is sealed in a transaction of gold, a liquid to ruin a mans life is held on display but most importantly...

The roars of the people cheered on as two men fought in a ring, an obviously larger man and a younger one.

Blood, pain and death.

THWACK

Well maybe not always the death part...

"YOU'RE GOING TO PAY FOR THAT"

Though sometimes you would wish you were dead.

A fist is thrown by the large man, with scars tattered across his body and a few missing teeth.

Though it wasn't the ideal situation to be in ever,

And the fist stopped in front of the smaller mans face.

fighting men and women in a ring for the entertainment of others until one was a a bloody pulp.

The larger man smiled as no one has ever survived his punch.

But YOU, yes YOU, thrived in it.

His smile quickly dropped as you reveal that you had stopped it with your fist.

And oh boy, you sure thrived in it

---

"Get'em off my floor."

The crowd would roar again as you posed dramatically, the prodigal champion would win once again. Though you would never lose and never seemed close to losing you would always put up a great and dramatic show the crowd of misfits and mismatches would have no choice but love you. You would get payed handsomely and build good connection to a large networking connection to those around you, wealthy gambler, pimps and a variety of bad but powerful men greatly respected you.

As you walked out they would all cheer and scream your name, walking out of the pits through the gates you could still hear their cheers echoing through the hall before entering the change room.

You were never bloody anymore now that you knew how to fight properly, at least not from your own blood. You looked in the mirror after you were changed, devilishly handsome and wearing your coat showing your chest and stomach a what seemed to be a lions mane connected to it. Gloves with sharp points on the knuckles and gauntlets above it. And most importantly the fine silken pants with golden accents much like your golden accented shoes. Everything about you screamed about pride and power.

The classic look of (Y/N) (L/N) the 6 foot tall 18 year old brute who knew nothing about anything else other than solving things with punches and violence. Though you knew that you were nothing like your reputation you like to keep somethings private.

Leaving the room and going through a secret door, you have a meeting. Powerful men would sit around a table as you would join it, though your reputation still upheld itself these men that controlled the black market knew of your cunningness. Barons they called themselves, noble men that controlled the market, men who held their title of honour with confidence and power. They helped control each sector of the market and helped maintain the rules above ground, to help maintain business and profits it was needed for someone to help control these aspects. Though these men coming from varied backgrounds and bore different views, looks and amount of scars and held themselves at such high images to call themselves 'Barons' they called you 'Boss.' 

Though it would be a long story on how you managed to gain an unreasonable respect from a large group of men more experiences and elderly compared to you. This isn't about that but you did do them all a large favour and aside from that your cunning and wisdom is something that outsmarted them all. 

Regardless it was a successful week and the meeting and the aforementioned fight went along just as planned. Barons would leave through different entrances satisfied with their results and bags of gold within their possession and return the following week to discuss business results.

You would leave with them, heading home to take care of your ma and focusing on what happens in the future. It would always be an hour before sunrise before everything was done and carts and stations would close but crowded halls would still exist there. A night of business would vanish before appearing the next night. Your next fight would be next week but you find yourself fighting more often and business being a little slower these last few months. Though sometimes men would disappear, while not uncommon you find stalls and men to be replaced at such an accelerating rate you don't quite understand why. Men becoming more antsy they refuse to leave before the blanket of sunlight covers everything. Though strange creature of the night would start appearing more often, always muttering about the blood and of something like an upper moon or something. Demons wearing the skin of men and those that reek of blood and death. You would never be able to hear the whole story before bashing their skulls open but you just had to hope that they wouldn't appear as much. 

After exiting out of the many alleyways that exist there you spot once again two men, no monster, demons crawling towards a girl, a situation too common. Though her type wasn't someone you would typically see.

"Didn't your ma ever teach you manners?" you ask, catching the attention of the 2 men, their skin a disgustingly unnatural pale colour, "Or how to treat a pretty lady?" you walked towards them, ready to defend her

Both of them with yellow eyes, silent as they watched you, though they said nothing you knew that they were experienced the way that they tensed up their muscles, ready to attack before anything was said.

"Not talkers eh?" you took another step forwards. Before they lunged at you

(1130 words July 23, 2022)