Chapter 11

"Dad?"

Though you were too young to remember everything, you remembered his values, lessons, and image. He wasn't the perfect Father, but he loved you and your mother very much, fighting for everything to improve the family's life. Hubris would be his downfall though, killed him early on in your life down in the pits where you once fought too.

"I see you are here to join me." He looked out into the sunset.

"I'm dead?" You looked at your hands, to be honest, it was a fluke that you were still alive even before the demon-slaying.

"No." he walked up to you now you were both eye leve,l from when you could remember him he towered over you "Walk with me."

This whole situation felt surreal, your father, who you could barely remember, was here talking to you. Every detail, his hair, his skin and his voice was crystal and just as you remember. In a situation where you almost died, it seems that you are right now at death's door. Teetering on the precipice of life and death.

"You took good care of your mother." he paused in front of you.

"I try my best," you responded still walking.

"But you worry her a lot."

"And you didn't? It comes with the job."

A fist beelined for your face only for you to catch it. 

"That's it?" you were surprised, this was not your old man. He was a pit fighter like you, though he lived another life before settling down you expected more, maybe it was just your imagination.

He smirked and walked away.

Taking a step you suddenly felt the pain go through your body, if this wasn't a dream you would have vomited out blood but instead, you just collapse to the ground. The breath was drawn out once again from your body, and it felt like you had pins and needles everywhere up to 1000. Your nerves were firing throughout your body.

"You have much to learn boy. If you want to defeat the challenges in front of you, you will need to learn this skill." He turned back around and looked at you "Breathing, Hamon breathing. A technique I was introduced to me by my brother. This technique was used to defeat demons special to the bloodline."

He stopped to look back at you again "You are here earlier than I expected. You weren't supposed to be here this soon."

You looked up at him, still trying to catch your breath.

"Something is happening, and I am afraid that you won't have much time to do what I couldn't. Though you cannot speak right now you must remember that you need to learn total concentration breathing." 

The fog started to swirl around you, too thick for the sunlight to penetrate.

"We will talk in due time. When you lie in death's palm." 

His voice echoed as you fell back.

You shot up, covered in sweat. Despite it being midnight you were wide awake.

You needed a drink.

Walking around the halls again everyone was most probably asleep.

Going to the kitchen and getting a drink you look around for a snack somewhere. Flipping over pots and pans there were some left over deserts. 

Mochi, how wonderful.

"Wonderful indeed."

Tripping over yourself you see Shinobu again.

Though this time she didn't wear a smile like usual.

"Are you feeling alright? You look like you just died."