Chapter 1

California. The state known for surfing, sun, and fun. But for a select group of people, it's also home to Fightertown, USA. More commonly known as Miramar Air Base, aka Top Gun.

The best of the best of Naval Aviators are schooled there, the top 1%. But something brought back an even more select group.

The top 1% of the 1%. Twelve aviators were called back for a special mission, one they know nothing about.

Now, if you know anything about this town, it's that the Hard Deck is the place to be. A Navy bar at its core, a place most frequented by Navy personnel.

And that's no different for the aviators. A few of the specially selected pilots arriving for their mission just so happen to be there, enjoying their last bit of freedom before this "special mission" starts in the morning.

☽☆☾ ☽☆☾ ☽☆☾

"Oh come on," Coyote says in despair when Hangman sinks a ball into the pocket of the pool table.

As soon as Hangman looks up, Phoenix walks up with Payback and Fanboy behind her.

"What do we have here?" Hangman asks. "If it ain't Phoenix!" He states smugly.

Phoenix just stares at him, as he smirks right back.

"And here I thought we were special Coyote. Turns out they give it to anyone."

Phoenix looks at him annoyed. "Fellas," she says to Payback and Fanboy, "this here is Bagman." She smiles a little as she finishes, knowing the nickname will piss him off.

"Hangman," he corrects almost immediately, a strained smile on his face.

"Oh whatever," Phoenix quips back. Looking back to Payback, she continues. "You're looking at the only naval aviator on active duty with an air-to-air kill."

"Stop," Hangman falsely states, looking smugly at the other aviators.

Never one to let Hangman brag for long, Phoenix is quick to say "Mind you, the other guy was in a museum piece from the Korean War,"

"Cold War," Coyote corrects.

"Different wars, same century," Payback replies without hesitation. "Not this one," Fanboy is quick to back him up.

Getting fed up, Coyote asks "Who are your friends?"

"Payback." "Fanboy."

"Hey Coyote," Phoenix finally greets the aviator.

"Hey," he cheekily replies.

Noticing someone sitting in the corner, Phoenix gestures. "Who's he?" The man looks up, looking slightly out of place among the self assured pilots.

"Who's who?" Coyote asks, not looking away from Phoenix

Everyone looks over at the man, who is brushing some crumbs off his pants. Looking up, he notices the others staring at him, so he just shyly smiles.

"When did you get here?" Coyote asks, having not seen him come in or hear a sound from him.

"Oh, oh I've been here the whole time," the man says with a sweet, shy smile

"Man's a stealth pilot," quips Hangman deadpan.

"Literally," Coyote continues.

He looks up, "weapons systems officer actually."

"With no sense of humor," Hangman sighs.

Hangman hands Phoenix his pool cue and heads for the bar to get a drink.