Chapter 11

It had become very apparent that the Hard Deck was the place to be if you wanted a night out around Fightertown. Considering a very specific group of aviators had been there virtually every night since the start of this mission, Penny was making a lot of money.

Ever since airing her worries to Bradley earlier in the evening, Cecelia was determined to remind the other aviators she was close with just how much they meant to her. Phoenix was obviously the first on that list, but Bob, Payback, and Fanboy had quickly endeared themselves to her. Not to mention Coyote practically worshiped the ground she walked on, much to everyone else's amusement.

Arriving at the bar, the newcomers grabbed a drink before heading over to their usual group. Before anyone else to grab them, Kai took all the darts, challenging Fanboy and Bob to a round as Fanboy had been bragging about his skills the previous night. Cat had taken over Cecelia's spot in regaling Coyote with stories he could take back to his niece, promising she would record a message for her after this mission was over.

And Cecelia quickly found Phoenix, who had been playing a round of pool against Hangman to prove a point. But as soon as she saw the look on Cecelia's face, she gave her que to Rooster and walked over. "Hey, what's wrong?"

Grabbing Natasha's hand, Cecelia took her into a quieter area of the bar. She quickly explained her worries about the mission, waving off Nat's reassurances. "I've already talked it out with Bradley, but it made me realize that I wanted to tell you just how much you mean to me. Natasha, you were really the first true friend of Bradley's I had met from the Navy. Everyone else was in passing, but you stayed. And then you wormed your way into my life as well."

Trying to keep up with Cecelia, as she was beginning to talk faster and faster the more worked up she got, Natasha grasped the hand closest to her. "Lia, slow down. Take a breath. I'm not going anywhere in the next five minutes, take your time."

"Sorry," ignoring the dismissive wave from Natasha, she continues. "I had accepted a long time ago that I would always have to worry when Bradley was on assignment. I didn't expect anyone else to come in and take that worry as well. So, I'm going to tell you something I should have said a long time ago." She looks around the bar for a minute before raising her eyes to look right into Nat's. "I love you and I am so glad you came into my life. I never really thanked you for how much you care for Bradley as well. I know you've known each other longer than we have, but we both know he doesn't have the easiest past."

Nat gives a laugh at that, tears forming in her eyes from the emotion Cecelia is emitting as she talks. "I can truly never thank you enough for welcoming me with open arms the way you have. You really are one of my best and greatest friends and I can't imagine my life without you."

Now the tears are falling for both of them. Without saying a word, Natasha stands and pulls Cecelia into a hug. If anyone were to look to their corner of the bar, they would likely assume something was wrong, but they couldn't be more wrong. Tears of happiness, joy, and love were openly flowing between the two friends. Natasha didn't give a damn about being a tough Navy pilot at the moment.

"I don't think I can compete with that speech you just gave," she begins, whispering into Cecelia's ear as they continue to hug. "But I love you too." They let go of each other, but continue holding hands. "You know I don't have many female friends, this profession doesn't exactly lead to that. But you have given me so much in the past few years that I can never repay."

Laughing, they both dry any tears left on their faces. "Now come on, let's grab our drinks and go show these boys who the real pool champions are. I've still got a bet against Hangman that I can beat him tonight."

That perks Cecelia right up. "Oh," she teasingly remarks. "What is on the line with this bet, may I ask?" Natasha pushes her shoulder for her tone, but doesn't answer. "No matter, if I can't get it out of you, Cat certainly will."