The story of Ismail (A.S)

Ismail (A.S) was Ibrahim (A.S)'s son; he was very small in lactating period when his father, Ibrahim (A.S) asked Hajarah to prepare for a journey.

So, Ibrahim (A.S), Harjarah and Ismail (A.S) started for their long journey. They passed through cultivated lands, deserts, mountains and reached a barren land where there were no tree, no food, no water, nothing at all. When they dismounted on the barren land and Ibrahim (A.S) started to leave, leaving Hajarah and his son Ismail (A.S) there with food for 2 or 3 days.

Seeing Ibrahim (A.S) leaving, Hajarah (A.S) was shocked, "Are you leaving us here alone on this barren land, where there is no water, no crops and where there can't be any cultivation also?"

Ibrahim (A.S) remained silent. Hajarah knew that this wasn't her husband's nature, But why was he silent. What if Allah had commanded him to do so?

She asked, "Has Allah commanded you to do so?"

Ibrahim (A.S) said, "Yes."

Hajarah replied, "Then Allah will not neglect us."

Oh Allah! What sacrifice! See her courage, firstly she knew that her baby was small and he would cry for food and water and he could even die because of that as well as she. But Allah's should not be disobeyed. And if she broke Allah's command her life would feel unsuccessful. Hajarah was ready to obey Allah's command, what may come.

When Ibrahim (A.S) went far away from where he had left his wife and child, he dismounted his camel, faced Kaaba, raised both his hands and did dua for both his wife and child.

Hajarah returned to her place and started feeding her child and drank water from her water-bag. When this water got over, she kept her son on the ground (where today the Zam Zam well is there today) and went towards the Safa Mountain to see if somebody was there. So in the rain she climbed to the top to see is someone was there but she was in vain, she ran down the hill fearing the state of her child and again in hope for help she went towards the Marwa Hillock, she reached the top and saw no one and again ran down in fear of the safety of her child. This happened 7 times. On the 7th round she heard a strange sound to which she said "Help us if you can offer help." The strange voice was none other than Jibreel (A.S).

Jibreel (A.S) hit the ground with his heel at the same place where baby Ismail (A.S) was crying and hitting his heels and water immediately gushed out from the ground.

Hajarah tried to control this water by saying "ZAM-ZAM" which means "STOP-STOP"

This water had excellent qualities and was good for food as well as quenching thirst. It is said that with whatever intention you drink Zam-Zam it will suffice you.

Hajarah started drinking this water as well as fed her son.

There wasa tribe called Jurhum and while they were passing by they saw some birds and they were surprised seeing that. Birds can only be spotted near water. So, they went someone to look out, and when this person came and informed them about the water, the people of Jurhum came to Hajarah and requested her to let them live around the water and so they lived and today a whole town has been developed there.

Do you know the name of the town? Its name is Makkah. Yes. And how and why did it develop there? Because of the courage and sacrifice of this woman who was ready to give her life for Allah's orders.

When Ismail (A.S) was old enough to walk, Ibrahim (A.S) saw a dream, and in that dream he was slaughtering Ismail (A.S).

When a prophet (nabi) sees a dream, he is supposed to act on it, as his dream is Allah's command to him. Now Ibrahim (A.S) proceeded towards Makkah to fulfil Allah's command. He went to Ismail (A.S) and told him about his dream. Ismail (A.S) replied, "O my dear father, do obey Allah's command. If Allah wishes you will find me amongst those who do sabr (patience)."

Ismail (A.S) heart was filled with greatness of Allah and all this was the teachings of his mother.

Ismail (A.S)'s reply to his father showed how much he had respect for his father and love for Allah.

So the father and son left to fulfil Allah's command towards the land that was called Mina. While going Shaitaan came 3 times to spoil their thoughts but when he came, Ibrahim (A.S) defended himself by throwing pebbles at him.

Ismail (A.S) requested his father," you will not be able to cut my throat so why don't you tie a cloth around your eyes? And tie my hands and legs so that I don't shake when you cut my throat with the knife and also tie my eyes with a cloth, as seeing the knife could scare me and what if I might try to prevent myself from being slaughtered and Allah's command will be delayed? This might displease Allah."

What a sacrifice! Ibrahim (A.S) got 1 son, that also when he was so old, around 100, his son was young. But yet Ismail (A.S) did not want to disobey Allah. That day his father put his only son down on the ground, to slaughter him. Such an extreme test it was that day for both the father and son.

When Ibrahim (A.S) did as he was advised by his son, he then started to move knife against Ismail (A.S) throat but the knife did not cut his throat on Allah's orders. Ibrahim (A.S) tried but again he failed, he got frustrated and threw the knife on the ground, he then picked up the knife and tried again. This time Allah asked Jibreel (A.S) to remove Ismail (A.S) and place a ram (male-sheep) instead. Ibrahim (A.S)'s eyes were covered with a cloth so can you imagine how astonished he must have been when he heard the ram's shout?

Ismail (A.S) was standing with Jibreel (A.S) smiling and Allah was so pleased with him that he announced, "O Ibrahim, you have made, come true your dream." (In the Quran)

This is that family that Allah has chosen and till today we remember this family during Haj and every time Allah talks to us about this family in the Quran as well.

The father, the mother and the son each one is giving sacrifices in the path of Allah

Once more Ibrahim (A.S) thought of visiting his family that he left at Makkah. He told his wife Sarah about his decision and made his way to Makkah. In Makkah he found his son, Ismail (A.S) being Zam Zam, mending his arrows. He said to his son, "O Ismail, Allah has ordered me to build a house for him" Ismail (A.S) said, "Obey your lord." Ibrahim (A.S) told him, "Allah has ordered me that you should help me therein." To which Ismail (A.S) replied, "Then I will do so."

So with that both of them started to build the Kaaba. Ismail (A.S) used to hand stones to his father and both of them were saying, "O our rabb accept this service from us, You are all hearing and all knowing."

When the building became high he stood on a stone and this is called "MAKKAME-IBRAHIM." This stone was the stone of Jannat and used to become taller and smaller as per Ibrahim (A.S)'s need and that is how, Kabba, the house of Allah was built. And today we all pray towards that house.

Once Ibrahim (A.S) was sitting outside his house and thinking of about his son and all his sacrifices. He was far away from his son that time and remembering him made tears fall from his eyes. Three angels took the form of humans and came to earth greeted Ibrahim (A.S). Ibrahim (A.S) greeted them and took them inside his house. He told his wife to slaughter a big calf for the guests. The servants did so and Ibrahim (A.S) invited the angels to come and eat. But the angels did not eat.

Ibrahim (A.S) did not know that these men were angels and he got scared. The angels read his mind and told him, "we are not humans, we are angels and we have come to give you goodness and glad tidings of a son named Issaq and after Issaq, Yaqoob."

Sarah was very old that time, she started smiling and asked," Will I have a child, when we both are so old?" The angels said, "Allah will give you a child."

When Allah plans something, nothing can alter it. So it was then, Issaq was born.

Allah gave a lot of barakat (blessing) in his children as he gave barakat (blessings) in Ismail (A.S)'s children.

Ishaaq (A.S)'s one son was Yaqoob (A.S) and Yaqoob (A.S) has 12 sons out of which one was Yusuf (A.S).

Many of Yaqoob (A.S)'s children were kings and prophets (nabi). The chains of prophets (nabi) from Yaqoob (A.S) to Isa (A.S) were all children of Ishaq (A.S).

Our Nabi (S.A.W) was born in the children of Ismail (A.S). There is not prophet between Ismail (A.S) and Prophet Muhammed (S.A.W)