The story of Yusuf (A.S)

Ibrahim (A.S) has 2 sons, Ismail (A.S) and Ishaaq (A.S) Ishaaq (A.S) had one son called Yaqub (A.S) and Yaqub (A.S) had 12 sons out of which one was Yusuf (A.S).

Yaqub (A.S)'s name was Israeel so his sons were called as children of Israeel or Bai Israeel.

Yakub (A.S) loved Yusuf (A.S) a lot which made his elder sons very jealous, they thought that why would their father love Yusuf (A.S) so much when they were all strong and powerful.

One day Yusuf (A.S) came to his father one day and said, "I got a strange dream tonight, the sun, the moon, and its stars were prostrating before me."

His father told him, "This dream is a glad tiding to you. It has a glad tiding of nabuwat and knowledge to you. Allah had given your grandfather's this great position; this dream interprets a great position for you also. But you don't ever tell this dream to your brothers as it might create jealousy in them, for shaitaan is our enemy and he will try to bring enmity in between you and your brothers."

Yakub (A.S)'s explanation shows us that one person should not brag about his or her achievements it might create jealousy among people.

Somehow Yusuf (A.S)'s brothers came to know about his dream and they started hating him and plotting against him.

Yusuf (A.S) was very handsome with a very good conduct, his younger brother, Benyamin and both of them were from the same mother. His other brothers often felt like their father was wrong in loving Yusuf (A.S) and Benyamin. When they heard about Yusuf (A.S)'s dream, they became very jealous and were completely burnt up.

They held a meeting and every brother was suggesting something or the other, one brother suggested, "Kill him." Another brother asked, "Where should we kill him?" The other one suggested, "Just banish him from the land." Then Yahudah, the eldest brother told them, "we should not kill him, our aim is to get rid of him. So we will throw him in a well and any passing caravan will pick him up and take him with them, then he will be far away from our father's sight and then we will repent for our sins and become good people." Everyone agreed to Yahudah's plan and the meeting ended.

Then next day they went to their father and told him, "O Father! Send Yusuf (A.S) with us tomorrow, we will take good care of him." His father replied, "I am scared, What if wolves eat him?" They replied saying that they were strong. Etc. Somehow they convinced their father.

Yusuf (A.S)'s brothers were very happy with themselves; they were close to their mission. So, they went directly to the well with Yusuf (A.S). Throughout the way they were harassing Yusuf (A.S), they removed his Kurta and threw him in the well. Yusuf (A.S) kept pleading them but all of it was going unheard. They had succeeded in their mission.

The well in which Yusuf (A.S) was thrown in was in the forest and at a very lonely spot. When Yusuf (A.S) was thrown, Allah sent Jibraeel (A.S) to help him, he was also told to not worry and that Allah would remind his brothers of today. Times will change.

On one hand Yusuf (A.S) was lonely in a well in a dark forest without his father and on the other, his brothers were very happy, they just had one problem, "What should they tell their father?"

They came up with a plan. They went to their father at night crying, "O father, they wolf ate Yusuf (A.S)" and they showed him the blood stained kurta, "we have proof. This is his blood stained kurta and Yusuf (A.S) is missing."

Yakub (A.S) thought, "What a smart wolf, He ate my son without tearing his Kurta?"

He told his sons, "You are telling lies. This is a made up story, Sabr is the best thing to do. I will ask help from Allah."