The story of Ayub (A.S)

A group of angels were once talking among themselves, they were saying, "The best on earth is Ayub (A.S), Allah has given him everything but he is not proud or selfish. He gives alms to the poor, he buys slaves to free them, he gives charity to the needy in such a way as if they are favouring him, he id kind etc."

Iblis over-heard this conversation and got very angry. He told Allah, "O Allah, Ayub (A.S) is not worshipping (ibadaat) out of sincerity (ikhlas), he wants that his money and bounties should always remain with him, that's why he is worshipping. If you take away his bounties he will forget you."

Allah replied, "Ayub (A.S) is one of my sincere servant (mankind) , he worships with sincerity and has nothing to do with material wealth."

But to prove to Iblis the depth of Ayub (A.S) sincerity and patience, Allah allowed shaitaan to do whatever he wished to do with Ayub (A.S) wealth.

Shaitaan destroyed Ayub (A.S) 's cattle, farms, servants until he was left with nothing and then he disguised himself as a wise old man and said, "O Ayub (A.S) you have lost all your wealth, people say, this is because you waste your time praying to Allah and give a lot of charity."

Ayub (A.S) told him, "What Allah has taken from me belonged to him. It was only given to me as a trustee."

Ayub (A.S) started praying and prostrating to Allah. Shaitaan got even angrier, he said, "O Allah Ayub (A.S) is only hiding his disappointment. If his children are taken away by you, he is bound to reject you."

Allah granted shaitaan the power over Ayub (A.S)'s children but told him that Ayub (A.S) faith will not be harmed nor his patience.

Shaitaan shook the foundation of Ayub (A.S)'s house by killing all his children at one time. He again disguised himself again as an old wise man and came to Ayub (A.S).

He said, "Your Allah is not rewarding you for all of your prayers as all your children died."

Ayub (A.S) replied, "Allah sometimes give and sometimes takes. He rewards sometimes if he is pleased with our deeds. Sometimes he gets angry with our deeds."

Then Ayub (A.S) started praying and prostrating towards Allah. "O Allah," he said, "Ayub (A.S) has lost his wealth and children but still has a lot of strength in him, and he is worshipping you so that he can get back all his wealth and children, grant me authority over his body."

Allah granted it but not over his soul, his heart and his mind and these are the places where Allah, ilm (knowledge) and religion reside.

Now Ayub (A.S) fell sick. His body was mere skins and bones, His sickness went on for very long time that no one wanted to sit with him. Not a single organ was proper or intact except for his heart and tongue. His wife Rehmat was the one who supported him and took care of him. In fact she took care of him.

Ayub (A.S)'s wife was the grand-daughter of Yusuf (A.S) and Ayub (A.S) was from the children of Ishaq (A.S).

Time passed and passed and Ayub (A.S) did everything she could do for her husband. One day Ayub (A.S) asked his wife, "Since how many years am I sick?" she replied, "7 years." He said, "In that case I have not suffered longer than the years of good health and riches."

Time and time passed away and Ayub (A.S) became from bad to worse, one day with a very heart he prayed to Allah, "O Allah, distress has sized me and you are the most merciful of all those who show mercy."

Allah answered his call and removed all the distress that was on him and whatever was lost, Allah gave it back to him.

When he was praying to Allah with a heavy heart his wife, Rehmat was out and when she came home she saw the sudden change and was very happy, she hugged Ayub (A.S) and thanked Allah for his blessings (rehmat).

One day during Ayub (A.S)'s illness his wife told something Islam (Shariyat). Ayub (A.S) got irritated with her and told her that when he got well, he promised by the name of Allah that he would punish her. Now he was well and he got worried because he had to fulfil his oath. But Allah came to his help and told his to Jibreel (A.S) to take in his had a bundle of grass and strike his wife with it and that would fulfil his promise.

Allah gave Ayub (A.S) many riches. One day he was taking a bath, a swarm of gold locusts fell on him, and he started collecting them in his garment. Allah saw this and told him, "Have I not made you too rich to need what you see?" Ayub (A.S) replied, "O Allah but I cannot shun your blessings."

Ayub (A.S)'s life teaches us to be patient, he teaches us to be thankful and most importantly always have faith in Allah. Ayub (A.S)'s life was filled with sicknesses or some or the other loss but his belief in Allah never hindered and no matter what he was going through he always thanked Allah and was patient.

May Allah give us the patience, calmness and faith that Ayub (A.S) had. AMEEN.