Dazzled | Sophie

"Oh my gosh, Marella! You got back with Tam? That's great!" I exclaim to a furiously blushing Marella who's trying to hide behind her blonde locks, but it isn't fooling me. "Someone's embarrassed," I snicker, and she swats me away. "Oh, shut up." Tam flushes beside her.

Tam and her had a fight a couple of weeks ago, about - of all things - pineapple and pizza. 

Yeah, Marella had been Team Pineapple. 

Anyway, Tam apologised to her and vowed to respect the right of pineapples (yes, he actually said that), so now they're all lovey-dovey again, though I groan when they cast those kind of looks at each other.

All pineapples have rights, I guess.

Dex hurries to catch up with Biana, who keeps eyeing the necklace that Marella gave me. I guess she still really wants it. She's always had an eye for jewellery, whatever the kind. Rings, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, you name it. In fact, she's tried to coerce me into wearing golden eyeliner a few times, and I've narrowly escaped.

"Hey, look who's here!" I glance up from my thoughts when I hear that voice, and all chatter from my friends stops. 

It's Keefe Sencen. He winks at me, and I restrain from breaking out into a full-body blush, if that's possible. His friend Fitz looks at him weird. My gaze shifts from him to Fitz, and...

Okay, this guy is seriously handsome.

His hair is sort of ruffled, and his teal eyes are bright. I'm dazzled by them, and have to remind myself to close my mouth. 

"Hey, who's this?" Fitz asks, turning to Keefe with one eyebrow raised.

Keefe flicks an indifferent hand. "Oh, you know. Sophie Foster. I met her on the way to the cafeteria." He snickers. "You should have seen her. Ran like the wind from Heks." I look away, feeling my cheeks turn beetroot red.

Fitz looks me up and down in a way that makes me nervous. He grins. "Hey, Sophie. I'm Fitz." Biana rolls her eyes. "Dear brother, I think she knows very well who you are." Still, I'm too stunned to speak, because Fitz Vacker is talking to me.

Fitz. Vacker.

Fitz stands closer to me in a way that makes me tingle, and Keefe sidles up on my other side. "So, what've you been up to, Foster? Causing some mischief, I hope?"

I roll my eyes, telling myself to just act natural. "I don't think I could get as many detentions as you do even if I tried."

Keefe pretends to act flattered, placing a hand over his chest. "That's very kind of you, Foster."

Fitz smiles at me, a kind of heat in his eyes. "Maybe you could join me in detention one day, Sophie."

"Uh, you mean us," Keefe corrects, narrowing his eyes at Fitz. I don't know what's happening between them, but I'm nervous. "Like I'd even dare to," I respond coolly. "Do you guys even know how many girls land themselves in detention on purpose?"

Fitz raises an eyebrow, and Keefe smirks. "Is Sophie calling us hot?" Fitz asks, and I think my cheeks are nuclear. "I think she is," Keefe confirms.

Fitz smiles wider, seeming to think of something. "Oh! Hey, Sophie, I'm having a party next week. Do you want to come over? You already know where Biana lives, right?" His eyes rove over to my friends. "I suppose you could invite them too," he adds as an afterthought, but then his gaze slides back to me and I find it hard looking him straight in the eyes.

Marella looks like she's about to die. "Uh, sure!" I agree, smiling.

Fitz grins, pulling Keefe away, who looks a little ticked-off for some unknown reason. "Catch you later, Sophie."

I blush. Biana rolls her eyes.