The Talk | Sophie

Things just got real.

During the time I've been at his house, I know, both of us felt the truth hanging heavily in the air between us, but we both brushed it off, hid behind our jokes and laughter.

Well, those jokes and laughter have been peeled away. Now it's just us and the connection that binds us together, the truth that intertwines our fates.

I look anywhere but his face - especially his eyes - as I blush beetroot red. Keefe's cheeks are also a little flushed. Any other time and I would have so enjoyed that, but now... "It's okay," he finally whispers. "I know..." His voice cracks. "I know you don't think of me that way, but...but I do. I just..." He sighs. 

I...I'm stunned. I knew there was something between us, but I never, ever imagined he liked me. Told me that an hour ago and I would have called you crazy.

I inch a little closer. Something in his sparkling ice blue eyes draws me closer. They're so beautiful. Why would he hide them? They look absolutely perfect with his artfully tousled blonde hair.

I think...I think I might be...falling for him.

I push the unfamiliar feelings down, deep down in me, away, to be dealt with later. It's scary and at the same time crazy, the things I feel for him. I don't want my heart to be broken. So I decide to hide the feelings for now, until I can be sure.

I sigh, trying to break the tension that's settled over us like a smothering blanket. "I guess it's time for the talk," I joke.

Keefe nods heavily. "Yeah."

I look down, playing with the hem of my shirt. "Keefe...the thing is...you might not be the only one here."

Keefe's head snaps up, his shining eyes blazing with a wild truth that cannot be comprehended. "You...really?" I hate to disappoint him, especially now when he's showing me his vulnerable side, but... "Yes. Yes, Keefe, I do," I breathe out, feeling a weight being lifted off my shoulders. "I just feel that it's not right, at least not now. Fitz and I..."

Keefe nods. "I know. We'll wait. I'll wait." My heart melts for him, and a emotion stirs in my chest.

"I'll always wait for you, Foster."