Cake | Keefe, Fitz

A/N: I'm so proud, a double pov chapter :') *sniff*

____________________

Keefe Sencen

I know I should probably fess' up soon, but how do you go about telling a girl that you're her soulmate? You can't just say, Hey, so breaking news, I'm actually your soulmate, wanna go out with me?

I can only begin to imagine the disastrous consequences of saying that out loud to Sophie. 

The squeak of a well-oiled door interrupts my thoughts as I glance up from the cake in my hand. I've been contemplating it for the past five minutes, like it contains the secret of the universe. Really, I just need to know the secret of how to confess to your crush that you're her soulmate.

Fitz waltz in with Sophie who looks like she's floating, and they share a knowing look, which I can guess what it's about. That makes my stomach drop to my toes. They're a...thing? Fitz hooks Sophie's arm not-so-subtly, and my worst fears are confirmed.

I should be happy for them...right? But I'm not.

I don't feel like eating cake anymore.

It's too late. I should have confessed. Now she's taken by my best friend.

____________________

Fitzroy Avery Vacker

Looking at the cute blonde girl beside me, I feel so happy. Sophie and I are actually a thing now, and I can't wait to tell Keefe. He's going to be stoked. 

Sometimes, though, he gets a bit touchy on the subject of Sophie. I think he has a crush on her or something, but I mean, if he's not going to get her, then I guess it's fine. I know I'm technically not Sophie's soulmate, but it's not like only soulmates can be together. At least, I hope it's not true. Because I really want Sophie. She looks so incredibly adorable right now with that blush colouring her cheeks.

"I'm going to get some cake," Sophie tells me with a smile, pointing to the dessert table, and I smile back. She walks away with a swish of her dress and I stroll over to Keefe, who's standing with Dex and talking to him in hushed tones.

They immediately straighten and stop talking when I approach. I try to ignore the frown Dex is giving me. "Hey, guys," I say, barely containing my excitement. "I kissed Sophie."

Keefe gives me a slap on the back which is a little too hard and feels forced, and Dex shows a weak smile. Something's up, but I'll deal with this later. 

"I'm happy for you, dude," Keefe says, retreating and mussing his hair. Dex nods but doesn't say anything. 

I didn't think Keefe would be this affected. He must really like her. But she's mine.

____________________

Keefe Sencen

Before Fitz came in

I need to let my feelings out. I just have to. To somebody.

I spy Dex in the corner, hanging out with Biana. Then she walks away to talk to Tam and Marella. I guess this is my chance.

Furtively striding up to Dex, I stand awkwardly in front of him as he smiles at me. "What's up, Keefe?"

"I..." Okay, maybe this was a stupid idea. Actually, it is. Dex isn't even my best friend or anything. But there's no backing out; I might as well get it over with. Besides, I really need to talk to someone about this. About Sophie.

"I like Sophie," I admit. "But I think Fitz likes her too."

Dex shows no emotion. He's not even surprised. I wonder if he's going to laugh in my face. "I know you do," is what he says eventually. "Fitz does too. But I don't know if he actually likes her for who she is or because she's just cute."

I sigh. "Yeah. Fitz can be a jerk sometimes. If he hurts her..."

Dex shakes his head. "I'll have Sophie's back. Yours too. I won't let him do that to her."

I smile. "Thanks, Dex. I barely know you and you're helping me."

He grins, exposing his dimples. "Well, I guess this is one of those my friend is your friend so I'm your friend kind of deals -"

"Hey, guys." It's Fitz. Dex and I clamp our mouths shut. 

Then Fitz tells us everything.