Soulmate | Sophie

What the heck.

What the actual freaking heck.

Keefe Sencen is my soulmate?! I can't decide whether to scream and shout for joy or to slam the door and run back home pretending like this never happened. Honestly I'm leaning towards the latter option. Still, that would just make him think I'm crazy.

I decide to play dumb, since he's also clearly freaking out. "Um, hi!" I burble, plastering a crazed-looking smile on my face. Then I realise I'm supposed to be sad and stop smiling. Actually now I just look like I'm having a weird mood swing, never mind. "Do you mind if I..."

Keefe seems to come back to the situation at hand as he snaps out of his daze. "Oh, yeah, sure. Sorry." He steps aside to let me in and I avert my gaze, looking at my shoes - that have become the most interesting things in the room - so that I don't have to see his eyes again. Especially not those gold flecks.

"So, um..." he plays with the hem of his shirt. "What's up, Foster?"

"I..." I'm so stunned by my discovery that I've almost forgotten about the whole Fitz situation. Almost. "Um...Fitz and I had a fight. A pretty big one. He's really angry at me right now, and, well, I had nowhere else to go..." I look away. This was stupid.

Keefe's gaze softens, and I hurriedly snap my eyes away from his. Stop looking, Sophie! "You're always welcome, here Foster," he says, then clears his throat. "So...what happened?"

The tears well up again, and I blink them away furiously. "He..." I start, unsure. Keefe looks me dead in the eye. "Foster, you know this is a judgment-free zone." He spreads his arms wide. "I'm not going to yell at you or call you a dumbass or anything." He shrugs. "We all know that Fitz is probably the dumbass."

That brings a smile to my lips. "Yeah, I guess he is." Then, I explain everything to him. Everything. About why we fought. Keefe seems to hang on every word I say, and when I finish, there's sadness in his eyes for me and his eyebrows are furrowed. But I don't want him to be sad because of me. This is my problem, not his.

"I'm sorry I unloaded all this on you," I apologise, hanging my head.

Keefe immediately shakes his head, blowing out a sigh. "It's fine, Foster. You need someone to talk to. I can be that someone. After all..." He grins at me impishly. "...I can be your hero any day."

Ooookaaaayy.

I huff. "I don't know what to do," I admit. 

Keefe smiles. "Fitz'll get over it. He can be a jerk sometimes. And really, really, really stupid. I'll go punch him in the junk later." I think he's joking, but he says it with a straight face, and that makes me really concerned for Fitz's wellbeing in the near future. Nah, he's probably joking. I think.

I smile, looking up at him, but my smile falters a little when I meet his eyes. I don't exactly want to talk about the fact that he's my freaking soulmate, because I'm still sort of dating-but-not-dating Fitz.

"So...what do you want to do now?" Keefe asks, a smirk on his lips. "My dad's busy and he probably won't check on us, so feel free to wreck the place." I laugh. "Last one to your room is a piece of rotten salami!"

I speed up the stairs, then realise I have absolutely no clue where his room is. My bad. Keefe rushes past me, laughing.

"You're so dead, Foster!"

____________________

A/N: I quoted Keefe a ton in this chapter lol. Let's see if you can spot the references ;)