Chapter 3

MASON POV

I wasn't stupid, I knew what was going on. Emma, Jasmine, and I had been planning this "dare" for a while. Look, Evelyn and Leo were perfect for each other, the issue was that Leo was an absolute idiot back then but the guy has changed. We knew Leo would be here due to knowing a lot of people Leo worked with so it was up to Evelyn to agree to coffee, which obviously she did because the girl cannot even walk without it.

Leo walked over to the table, his messy black hair covered his hazel eyes that showed evident confusion as he got closer. He sat down beside me, opposite Evelyn. "Bro please help them choose which shade of white I can't deal with it anymore! Since when were there shades of white?" I said only to make the girls laugh, especially Evelyn. Evelyn had a tough life but we stuck by each other and I felt the need to make sure she was always happy, just so that she wouldn't cry anymore. She's still a dramatic person but you get used to it. 

Switch to Leo's POV -

Just as Mason joked about shades of white the girls began to laugh, but all I could hear was Evelyn's laugh. It was smooth like melted chocolate and consumed me. It freaks me out to this day how much control she has over me. I kept playing it back in my mind until a hand was waved in front of my face.

I just pointed at a random shade of white but Evelyn shook her head. "It doesn't work well with the couches we chose, Mason do you want to see the plan?" Her eyes moved away from the paint samples and moved to Mason and she began smiling. Why couldn't she look at me like that? Oh, wait, 'cause I was an asshole. She placed the laptop in the center but I noticed she angled it for me to see, it then occurred to me that she wanted me to see it but just didn't want to address me. Ha, you're not that slick Evie. 

"Oh well now that I saw it I think this one is better," I concluded pointing at the other shade she was holding. She smiled just a bit and stuck her tongue out at her friends. "So, how are you?" I asked her. She didn't respond, instead, she fiddled with something on the laptop. Oh, she's ignoring me. Jasmine nudged her and then nodded her head towards me as a way of telling Evelyn that I was talking to her. 

She looked at me and I could feel my heartbeat race. So she wasn't ignoring me. Fuck yes. "I'm good, you?" She said. I wasn't used to her not smiling at me, or not smiling in general. "I'm fine," I said but quickly. She took a sip of her drink before Jasmine and Mason said they wanted to talk about something private and Emma needed the bathroom.

We sat in silence for a bit until she broke it. "So uh, how's your life? What'd you major in? Do you work now?" If we were in middle school I would have been annoyed by the number of questions, but now, it felt like the world lit up, she was talking to me!

"It's alright, I majored in business at AUB, and now I work at my dad's company. How about you?" I replied and was hoping my enthusiasm wasn't too obvious. "Oh um, I graduated from Harvard Law and took some courses in interior design. Now I own a law firm and co-own an interior design company with Jasmine and Emma. It helps that I'm smart, but of course, you know that already." She ended her statement with a sip of her drink. I wasn't surprised that she brought it up, it was bound to happen.

"I presume you're hinting towards the - um - breakup?" I stuttered. She began to laugh "Since when did you use words like 'presume'? I see you're doing fine without my help." If only she knew. Before I could say anything everyone got back. Eventually, we all left. As I got into my BMW I saw her getting into a gorgeous Range Rover.

I guess she was doing better without me than I had been doing without her. Not a surprise to anyone though, especially not me.