Chapter 7

EVELYN POV

I already knew before, that I was defending Leo's company.

I got into my car and turned it on smelling the leather, it never gets old. I connected my phone to Bluetooth and began to play The Weeknd when I got a call from Jasmine. I answered her and began saying hi when I was interrupted by a "Shut the fuck up how did it go?" I laughed and told her everything.

"3 steps to go" She said, a little too cheerful. I sighed and she started talking about something to do with her neighbour's cooking. I stopped at the Starbucks drive thru to order. "Jasmine stop talking I need to order" I tell her while lowering the call volume because there was a slim chance that Jasmine would stop talking. After ordering I raised the volume and I was right, she didn't stop.

"Bro I swear to god they cook the weirdest shit I can smell right now." I started hearing shuffling and then a window closing followed by a window closing. "Stupid bitches can't let me feel natural air without smelling their bullshit." I started laughing at Jasmine's growing frustration. We hung up and I started playing music from the group playlist.

I started rapping along to 'Overseas' by D-Block Europe and Central Cee and pulled into the parking lot of the office building. I went up to my office on the top floor with a city view. The building had a rooftop cafe, I don't know why but I'm not going to complain.

I turned on my IMac and checked my schedule and I had a meeting at 1pm with the business that was being sued. I was not sure how I was going to handle working with Leo. I decided to go up to the cafe seeing I had already finished my work and it was still 9 am.

I was enjoying my waffles with Belgian chocolate with Ice cream and orange juice when I got a text from one of my employees saying they had more information on the business I was going to meet with that would be useful in court.

After finishing I walked to my office and called the employee to come in. "Hello Ms. Taylor." Jackson said. He wore a suit and an expensive watch. "Jackson could you please give me the files that have the information I need?" I know I sound rude, but the thing is, Jackson has a stupid crush on me. He's always checking me out and giving me compliments. Sure, he's good looking, I'm not going to lie, but I would never date an employee—especially one with a bad rep.

He hands me the files and continues to stand in front of my desk. I just wanted him out of the room, no one can work while being stared at. "Do you need anything? If not then you're dismissed." I told him going back to the files. He walked out of the room but never broke his stare. Fucking weirdo.

I started going through the information when something caught my eye. The owner of the other business. Mathew McAlister. I knew him in middle school and had a crush on him before I dated Leo. Everyone knew he also liked me at the time but no one knew if he ever stopped. Why would Mathew want to sue Leo? Their businesses have nothing in common.

They claimed the Abawis stole a marketing technique they were going to use and that they had one of their employees to go undercover bla bla bla. The thing is, the Abawi's business was a cover up for their gang, most people knew about that. Why should they care if they stole their technique, noone pays attention to either business anyway.

The Abawis' cover up business was investments and insurance and stuff. THey needed something that generates a lot of money so that no one would question where their money came from. The thing is they were super rich, having a mafia and one of the worlds largest companies would leave you with so much money you wouldn't know what to do with it.

The McAlister's company was more of real estate and such but everyone said it must be a cover-up as well because of how much money Mathew had. What baffles me is why would a cover-up business try to sue another one? Unless there was something more profound. As much as I would love to know the whole story I have to pretend like I have no idea these companies are only used as an alibi.

It was 12:45 and I needed to start preparing. I asked my assistant Carrie to set up the meeting room and prepare the files. As I made my way there I saw a car pull into the parking. This was going to be interesting.