Chapter 9

EVELYN POV

Shocked was an understatement. It opened up so many questions. I mean sure, Leo did say his dad was the reason behind the breakup but I didn't really believe it. I didn't even know about the fight. I mean I heard they weren't friends anymore but now that I know the reason... shit.

I left the office early and went to my car. I let the leather scent fill my nose and relaxed a bit. I decided to call Jasmine and Emma to see if they could come over. When I got to the apartment I changed into something more comfortable. They came in soon after.

"Hey! SO now that you finished work give us the detai-" Emma started when Jasmine shoved her. "Bro she looks upset skete shway (shut up a little)" Jasmine said before huffing. We went to the living room and I wrapped a blanket around myself and began telling them every detail from the second Leo walked into my apartment.

"So his dad really was the reason?" Emma asked. I nodded. "You know what you should do?" Emma said. We looked at her "Call his dad and say you wanted to know what he meant and how you deserve to know and stuff like that." Before Jasmine could argue I picked up my phone and began calling him and put it on speaker. The room was silent.

After the third ring, he answered. "Hello, Evelyn." He said, sounding weirdly calm. "Mr. Abawi, hi, is it alright if I ask you something?" I said while looking at my friends. We weren't sure whether to find this funny or not. "If it's about what Leo said, I'll explain. When you two were younger before you started dating, he started acting different

He would constantly stay near his phone and always wanted to talk about you. When I found out you had gotten into the school you were both trying to get into and he didn't I knew you were smart and strong. I knew Leo liked you which is why I let him go out with you the day you guys became a couple.

The issue was the relationship was getting in the way of many things. You aren't stupid, you know about the mafia. He had to begin training but never wanted to. He said he wanted a normal life with you and he didn't want you to be involved. And because of my status, he wasn't really allowed to go out with anyone from outside the family, including you.

It was dangerous for both of you and I knew it needed to end. I made him do it in the most asshole way ever and send it to everyone. The reason is that I needed other people who could be a threat to know not to hurt you. You were a target, I needed to make sure you were safe."

I was speechless. They didn't want to hurt me, they were protecting me. I look at Jasmine and Emma and they were shocked. "Um, thank you Mr. Abawi, it wasn't what I expected but I'm glad that you cleared things up. Goodnight." I said a little rushed. "Goodnight Evelyn." He said before I hug up.

We all stared at the phone. Unsure of what to do next. "I think you should call off the dare," Emma said. "What? No. I'm already in too deep. I'm not backing out." I said while getting up to get water. "Evie." I turned around. Jasmine stood up and began to walk toward me, "Are you not calling it off because you don't want to back out of a dare, or because you want to be with him again?" I looked at her for a moment before turning around again and getting water. "Can someone turn on the TV? The show's about to start." I say while getting a bottle of water. I hear sighing from the living room.

Author's note

Hi guys sorry, it's been a while. I've been a bit busy. Anyway, I hope you guys are enjoying the story. I try to upload once a week. I feel like the past couple of chapters make no sense but idk. What do you guys think?