Chapter 8

LEO POV

The driver pulled into the parking lot of a really nice building. My father was beside me having a conversation with the driver while I listened to a playlist. Not any playlist though. It was the one Evelyn made me back when we were dating. It was full of songs I hated and she told me to play them when I missed her. I play it all the time. What surprised me is that she continued to add songs to it. She must have been thinking that it would be fun to just add songs but I listened to every single one.

I take my airpods out and get out of the black Chevrolet Tahoe. It belongs to my father but I always wondered if Evelyn would like it. She loves black cars and leather interiors. I would love to show her this car. We walk into the building and it's nice and bright. It's odd that this is a law office, everyone seems so happy to be here.

We walked up to the receptionist. "Hello, we have a meeting with Ms. Taylor at 1 pm." My father said. Wait. Taylor? "Yes of course the meeting is scheduled to be in 2 minutes. Someone will take you up right away." A tall man came in and we followed him to the elevator and pressed a button. "You guys are in good hands. Ms. Taylor owns the company. I don't think she has ever lost a case." The guy says. I can't help but think that he looks kind of like Neymar.

"We are familiar with Evelyn, shes a very bright woman." My father replies. Just then the elevator opens. We were the boring business case Evelyn has today. We were taken into a room that had a large white table in the centre with black leather chairs all around it. There was a projector screen at the head of the room and the longest wall was a huge window with a gorgeous view of the city. We were seated and he asked if we would like anything to drink. My dad wanted coffee, I wanted water.

Just as he left Evelyn walked in. My father and I stood up to greet her then we all sat down. "Ms. Taylor it's lovely to see you." My father says with a smile. He always liked her. I don't even understand why he made me break up with her. "It's lovely to see you as well! But please, call me Evelyn." She said as she started taking out the files when she paused. "Would you guys like to have the meeting on the rooftop? This large room is unnecessary for only the three of us.

And just like that, I'm sitting on a couch chair in one of the most beautiful rooftop cafes I have ever seen. We ordered some light food and drinks when my father started with his charm. "Evelyn this is quite the rooftop! Your office doesn't even feel like an office." She smiled and then replied, "Thank you! I love coming here at sunset. I like making the work environment more enjoyable. If people enjoy what they're doing better work will be produced. Plus law can be boring. I didn't want a boring office on top of that."

We began discussing more things about the issue when Evelyn told us "You guys don't even have to worry, I can easily say that the technique was simple and anyone could have come up with it so it isn't likely that you guys copied them. Mathew is very extra sometimes." She ended it with a chuckle but I paused.

"Mathew? As in Mathew Mcalister?" I asked her with a bit of curiosity in my voice. She looked at me and for the first time since I arrived, we made eye contact. I still remember telling her how I wanted my baby to have her eyes. I think I still do. "Yeah, why?" She told me. She didn't know.

Flashback to when they were in Grade 9. Evelyn moved to a new school.

"Abawi!" Mathew yelled coming toward me. It was our first day back at school, it felt weird not having Evelyn there. I turned to look at Mathew and he looked mad. Really mad. "Yo, what's wrong bro?" I told him laughing. I never took things seriously when I was younger. "Khaye (my brother in Arabic) are you dumb?" He yelled drawing attention.

I was confused, I hadn't done anything yet. "Shou? (what)" I asked a little confused. "Why did you do that to Evelyn? Anyone would have killed to be with her and you just use her?" SO this was what all this was about? At the time I had started to regret what I had done, but I didn't tell anyone. "Bro it was months ago why do you care so much?" I asked, "You mad 'cause she didnt like you right? Everyone knows you're like obsessed with her it's funny."

After the breakup, fewer people talked to me, and fewer girls had crushes on me. At the time I didn't get why but after growing up I realized I was an asshole. The first punch hit, I wasn't a good fighter, at all. But I wasn't just going to let him hit me. As we were being broken up he whispered "I'm going to make sure you pay for screwing up with Evie." We got suspended and everyone never spoke of it again. However, it didn't mean people were on my side.

Soon enough I barely had any friends and was a nobody. Meanwhile, Evelyn was becoming even more beautiful, and all I could do was watch her living her best life on her Instagram stories instead of right next to her. I watched her deliver her valedictorian speech from the live stream on her school's account, instead of in the crowd.

Present time.

He wanted revenge, but I didn't know how I was going to explain that to her. "We had a fight in grade 9 and he said he'd make me regret it but I dunno he probably forgot." I mumbled while taking a sip of Pepsi. "That's really useful, we could say he continues to be childish after all these years and it's unprofessional to carry a silly grudge." She started writing it down.

Then my dad decided to do what was possibly the worst thing to do at that moment. He opened his mouth.

"Oh! Do you mean Mathew the guy that was mad about what you did to Evelyn here? OH I remember that fight he was calling you an asshole and hitting you! Serves you right son. Serves you right." He said it as if it were the most casual thing on Earth. Evelyn looked up from her notebook and straight at me.

I got up and began walking to the elevator when I walked back to the table and said "Dad, don't act as if you didn't make me leave her. You know damn well nothing could have made me do that, but you made me. So before opening your mouth, maybe think a little." With that, I left. Followed closely behind by my father after he hurriedly said goodbye.