Chapter 1: Shapeshifter

"Mom? WAKE UP MOM!" Ashley yelled to her mom who was bleeding on the ground infront of her.

"Ashley.....I'm sorry but.....you have to find Clary and Simon and tell them everything. Tell them to tell you the truth about me and yourself." her mom barely spoke.

"MOM NO DON'T LEAVE ME." she cried and sobbed.

"I protected you...now he's after you. Joceyln gave me the cup. Find it and protect it against him." her mom said weakly.

"AGAINST WHO?" Ashley sobbed.

"Clary's father." her mom replied.

"Nonsense! My dad and her dad DIED in a car crash mom-" Ash began.

"Your dad did but hers didn't. Go find Clary now." her mom collapsed and Ashley was screaming and wailing.

*
*
*

Clary was getting ready to go with Simon to Pandemonium as Jace, Alec, and Izzy had already called her on for a mission.

"Simon, your teeth are so obvious you look like a downworlder. It's been a year and you still can't hide them." Clary laughed.

"I know Clary i try but it's hard being a vampire. Say, aren't you going to call Ashley to make sure she's okay?" He asked.

"Oh yes, how stupid of me. There was an attack yesterday and i just ditched her. She must have been worried." Clary said as she took out her phone and dialed Ashley's number.

The ringing stopped as Ashley picked up the phone. However, Clary spoke first to her mundane best friend. "Hey girl what's up-"

"C-Clary," Ashley's voice sounded scary to Clary. "I-I n-need y-you h-here n-now."

"Ash- what's wrong!" Clary's voice got higher. "Tell me!"

"M-mom..." Ashley stopped speaking suddenly as Clary realized her phone was out of battery.

"ASHLEY! ASHLEY!" Clary shouted but it was no use. Simon looked at her concerned.

"What's wrong?" He asked worried.

"We need to go and find out what happened to Ashley and her mom. I think they got attacked. Ash sounds traumatized." Clary said.

*
*
*

"Oh Izzy, always digging for blonde wigs." Jace laughed.

"Please. You know demons love blondes." Izzy winked.

"Hah. So that explains why they want me so bad over you, Alec and Clary." He smiled.

"Anyways, I'm just preparing myself so nothing new." She said.

"Oh yeah, Simon's going to be there. Dress up well so he likes it." He grinned.

Izzy rolled her eyes and continued to fix her wig.

Alec, who was always being the responsible guy he is, came in with news...

"There's been an attack in a mundane's house today morning. Two members in the house. A mother and her daughter. Mother was attacked and needs to be taken to the institute, however the girl...im not sure. Clary just reported it to me." Alec announced.

"I feel the need to kick some demon butt right now." Jace joked.

"What type of demon was it Alec?" Izzy asked.

"A Shapeshifter demon, based on what Clary reported." Alec replied.

"Well pack your weapons Alec, we're going to Pandemonium." Izzy smiled.

"Oh yeah? And what's so special about Pandemonium?" He rolled his eyes.

Izzy smiled, "Oh you know. Magnus Bane. He will be there."

"Magnus Bane." Jace repeated and laughed. "Rhymes with overcareful pain in the ass."

Alec bursted out laughing just for the sake of it. "He's the High Warlock of Brooklyn, Jace. You need to respect him." Alec said, with amusement in his tone.

Jace and Izzy exchanged looks and grinned. "I forgot you had a thing for him, excuse me." Jace replied.

Alec was about to argue that he didn't but they were interrupted by Izzy.

"Enough boys, we can continue this chat later at night in Pandemonium. For now let's go to find Clary."

"And Simon." She added, almost as if she couldn't help it.

*
*
*

"I KILLED THE GUY CLARY...AND HOW DID HE JUST DISSAPEAR." Ashley was frightened.

"It wasn't a guy Ash, it was a monster. A demon to be specific." Clary said.

"W-what!? I KILLED THE GUY AND HE JUST DISSAPEARED. NO DROP OF BLOOD REMAINED AS EVIDENCE." Ashley shouted.

Simon was looking around and observing for any more evidence.

"Ashley you need to calm down...you are a Shadowhunter...just like I am. But i didn't know until last year." Clary began.

"What- even is a Shadowhunter?" Ashley asked confused.

"Okay you need to come with me to the institute. I will explain everything over there." Clary said.

"But what about my mom!" Ashley shrieked as suddenly Alec, Izzy, and Jace came in.

"My friends, the Shadowhunters you will meet, will help her. Just come with us and your mom will be safe." Clary said.

"Who are those...why do they have weird tattoos? Don't tell me they're your weed dealers or something Clary-" Ashley feared as she looked at them.

"Wait...the mundane can see us?" Alec  stared in awe.

"Of course I can see you, I'm not blind you know." Ashley rolled her eyes.

"Alec, she probably has the Sight." Jace started.

"She's a Shadowhunter." Clary finally said as everyone stared at her in shock, including Jace.