Thirty-Five - It Won't Be Me ✔️

The journey home is sure a fucking adventure.

Roads shut down practically everywhere, so it takes hours longer than normal; the four-hour drive turns into a seven-hour one.

But I make it.

I owe Tracy and David big time for coming to get me.

"You sure you don't need us to stay with you." Tracy asks as David helps bring what few things I have to the door. 

"Fuck." I say standing outside the door.

"What is it?" Tracy puts her hand on my arm to make sure I'm okay.

"My fucking keys." I say shaking my head. "They were in my purse."

"Ok ?" She asks, cocking her head and scrunching her brows, not comprehending why that matters.

"My purse," I nod, "The one that was in the accident."

"Oh."

"Yeah. You know what? I'm too damn tired for this."

I grab a bobbypin from Tracy's hair and start to pick the lock.

"Whoa. Check you out." David laughs as he watches, "You're a regular MacGyver, aren't you?"

"Something like that." I say as I swing the door open.

■■■

"Are you sure we can't convince you to let us stay?" Tracy watches me struggle through my kitchen on my crutches.
"Or hell, you could even come stay with us for a few days if you want."

"Nah, I'm sure. Really. You two have done more than enough already."
I try to reassure her.
"And besides, after everything that has happened, I really just need some time to myself to try to get my head right."

"Ok, honey. Believe me, I totally get it. Everything that's happened the last couple of months, I completely understand." She says with a shudder running through her.

I know she's thinking about Carl and her still having to work down at Grindhouse.

After Mona offered her a huge pay increase and promotion, she couldn't afford to turn it down, but just being there in that place has taken a toll on her.

Understandably so.

"Well, will you at least promise that if you need anything at all..."

"I promise, Trace." I make an "x" over my heart.
"I will call you if I need you."

"Ok, well then, is there anything we can do for you before we head out?" David asks.

"No. Really, guys, I'm good."

Truth is, I'm anything but, but I really did need to be alone.

"Ok so call me tomorrow?" Tracy grabs her jacket off the back of the couch.

"Sure." I nod

"Alright well..."

"I promise. You two drive carefully; the roads are shit. Message me when you get home.

"We will." David calls over his shoulder as he heads towards the car.

"Carrington?"

"Yeah."

"I'm really glad you're ok." Tracy throws her arms around me.

■■■

Alone.

I sit on the couch, my head in my hands. I lift my head and see one of Steve's ball caps staring at me from the table.

Flashes of Jolie fill my mind. Consuming every other thought.

She has tried twice to actively kill me and nearly succeeded in killing Steve in the process.

She will pay for this.

Fuck just watching her messages and proving she was a lying cheater to try and get Colton; no, she is going to pay for every single damn thing she has done.

I look at the few pictures I have of us all together as a family—me, Jo, mom, and dad—and see her smile in the photo—the same smile that she has given me so many fucking times over the years when she thinks she has won. When she thinks she has succeeded in whatever fucked-up thing she was doing at the time.

I'm sure that right now, at this very moment, she is probably wearing that same smile.

That same evil grin, thinking she has finally defeated me.

I know that she hasn't had any contact with Marshall since right after the accident, so, as far as she knows, Steve and I are as good as gone.

Looking at that picture of her, it's as if she's in the room, smiling at me.

Gloating.

Taunting me.

Laughing at me.

Proud of her actions.

and that is when

...

Something inside of me finally snaps.

I dart across the room, forgetting the pain in my foot, grabbing the photo and smash it against the wall.

I bend down, reaching through the shards of broken glass, grabbing the picture and ripping her out of it.

"I'm coming for you, Jolie."
I say smiling at her face.

"I'm going to beat you at your own game, and there isn't a fucking thing you can do to stop me.

By the time I'm finished with you, we will see who the sad, pathetic one really is.

And I can tell you, sister, it won't be me."