4

I stared at this boy, with anger rising in my stomach, but with my mouth agape. My mouth was open, because quite simply, I couldn't fill it with the words I needed it to speak.

The boy's smirk didn't falter, though he raised his eyebrows at my silence. He looked so fucking cocky as he raked his eyes over my face. Perhaps he was expecting a witty retort, and was pleasantly surprised when he saw a hint of fragility cross my features instead.

The hint of fragility was something I just couldn't control. He was right, after all, and he had spoke the truth immediately. Like my whole charade of new clothes and new makeup was transparent, and he saw right through it.

Like I was simply made of glass. Or maybe plastic, the kind that just pretends to be glass.

"Sterling!" Daisy's rushed voice came out only seconds after he said the words. I could clearly hear the many emotions that were stuffed into her voice.

Panic, annoyance... and defence.

Her voice boomed the single word from behind me, and I watched as the boy, who I suppose was called Sterling, kept his eyes on me for a second longer, before he flicked them to her.

"She wasn't homeless," she bit out, and I heard the small click clack of her shoes sound against the cement.

I pursed my lips as she spoke. It was true— I wasn't homeless when I got Daisy's email. Yet.

"And we didn't rescue her!" Daisy huffed, finally coming into view. I broke my eyes away from Sterling, who was looking between Daisy and me with an amused expression on his face.

She looked gorgeous, with a long white dress that draped her body perfectly. Her light hair was in a high ponytail, the golden strands bouncing in the air behind her. She looked exactly like what she was. She wasn't made of glass, or plastic, like I was.

"And that was like, literally so rude to say to my sister, Sterling," Daisy continued, shaking her head like he was a toddler she was paid to mind and scold.

"What?" Sterling let out in a surprised chuckle. "How was that rude? I was calling her hot."

If my eyes could roll any harder, the blood vessels in my face might have broken. Daisy let out an exasperated sigh, one that told me she was used to dealing with him.

"You are such a guy," she sighed. "Apologize."

"It was a complime..." Sterling said, raising his hands in front of him as he shrugged.

"Do it," Daisy cut him off, and she was met with a heavy sigh from Sterling.

He looked at the ground, shaking his head. I could see when a grin crossed his mouth, however, like he found this entire interaction hilarious.

Sterling eventually raised his head, his hand swiping through his messy hair. I observed him further as he moved, but not in awe like I had been earlier. Like I wanted to memorize his face so I could visualize it on the next thing I felt the desire to punch.

This time, when I noticed his features, it only pulled at the anger in my stomach. His sharp jaw, and his full lips. The slight stubble on his chin, the symmetry of all of above. But, mostly his eyes, because they weren't the blue or maybe the brown eyes I was expecting. They were dark grey.

I hated them.

"Listen," he started, and I felt the frown on my lips at his voice. He aggravated me, it was quite simple. Maybe I could have tolerated him, if he hadn't opened his stupid mouth and filled my head with insecurities.

But, he did. So, I won't.

Sterling paused, his eyes shifted over to my sister. Daisy looked just like I felt; like she had the urge to hurt him.