Chapter 10: (Y/Ns POV)

Word Count: 3.1k

A/N: I apologize now...this may be shitty but I had to do it....

The ride on the quinjet was one that I had never experienced before. The silence that filled the air felt pungent as I waited to descend. Nat came and stood next to me while I looked out the window. There were clouds of smoke that seemed to get denser as we got closer to the drop point. The awful feeling in my gut only grew stronger as I watched.

"Okay people, this is the time to listen up-" Sharon projected to carry her words to the full jet. "We have word that A.I.M. has been testing on abducted subjects for genetic experiments. They aren't going to give up without a fight and we have reason to believe that they are working with former H.Y.D.R.A. scientists so stay on guard at all times." I felt a hand clasp my own as she continued to speak. I held it tight like how a small child would hold a prized teddy bear in a storm. "Stick with your squad and do not get separated. Keep your coms on at all times and radio for backup ASAP" She looked around at all the faces giving her attention but still, there was a deafening silence. "Do you copy?" at her words I snapped to attention and so did all the other agents. The silence disappeared and was replaced by the sounds of 20 people replying in unison "Yes, Ma'am" She smiled and looked around once more "Drinks are on me tonight" with that a few laughs came from the group and she turned back to the front of the jet.

I turned to Natasha who was staring down at our interlocked hands and leaned in to whisper "Be careful okay?". She looked up into my E/C eyes and the corner of her lips tugged upwards as she softly spoke back. "Only if you are..." I placed a kiss on her lips. I couldn't help through the fear and anxiety I felt a smile appear on my lips "when am I not?" I gave her a sarcastic look with a raised brow and she rolled her eyes at me. We hugged and waited for the alert to join our squads. As we got closer to the drop point agents and team members alike began to double and check their gear, they reflected on old missions and began to disperse.

Sharon kept me and Natasha close together on missions, now however we were on separate squads and could only hope that the other fulfilled their side of our bargain.

It took us only 5 minutes to reach the drop point. Pietro and Steves's squads exited first. Next came me and Nat. As soon as we entered the powdered snow around the base I felt my body adjust to the temperature rapidly. I followed Sharon's instructions that came through the coms and quietly entered the building. It was three stories tall but it took up more room in this forest than the compound. My squad focused on entering the surveillance room and working on disarming their security while the others waited outside for the signal to move in.

I waited with bated breath as three agents worked on decoding their system. They were fast and soon The squads began to move in. We heard gunfire come from all entry points and began to take out the A.I.M. agents that were making their way to fights. Sharon began to direct each squad to a specific region of the base. My squad was tasked with securing the warehouse and getting the scientists in custody. I was on my to the nearest lab when suddenly a wave of red burst through a cement wall. Wanda appeared and she looked relieved to see me. I was anything but. As soon as she entered the base another group of agents began to swarm us. "Glad you decided to show up but maybe you could have used the door?" I managed to speak through my punches and the occasional blast of fire. "See, where would the fun in that be?" she gave me an innocent look as she took out the last agent. I motioned for the squad of agents to follow me and informed Sharon of our friend who decided to join the fight. She radioed back that I needed to detain the scientists fast and to join Steve's current battle on the east side of the base. Against my better judgement, I knew that it would take too long for all my agents and me to reach the lab and detain the egg heads before helping Steve, so I separated from my squad. I made the call and placed Wanda in charge of them. They protested but my mind was made up and I began to make my way east.