Chapter 1: (No Ones POV)

Word Count: 5k

The Rebirth...

The air in Lagos was dry, Wanda sat waiting at a coffee shop. She took a sip of her tea and listened to Natasha on the coms. She felt something was different here, it was a deep feeling in her gut. She sat uneasily surveying her surroundings. "Alright what do you see?" The captain spoke in her ear. "Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target."

"There's an ATM in the south corner, which means..." he waited for the witch to give her answer. "Cameras" Natasha sat at a table nearby and smiled to herself. Although the two of them had been in love with the same man they bonded over their grief for the fallen soldier. She was proud of the girls' progress in the field. As the two continued to speak and Steve quizzes her on the details he's already clocked. "...red one? It's cute"

She inserts herself into the conversation "It's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us."

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" She took another sip of her tea with a slight smile. "Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature" The bird man hears this and another smile joins the team.

"Anybody ever tell you you're alittle paranoid" the spy exhales through her nose in amusement at the jab.

"Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?" Once she says this Steve cuts the banter to the side and they all begin to focus on the mission.

---time Skip like fuckin 10 mins later or something---

As Steve has Rumlow on the ground and knocks his helmet off he sees a face covered with bandages that shook him to his core "no...". Natasha steals a glance from a distance and catches only a small glimpse that she chalks up to her grief, at least she does until she hears Steve's words in her ear. "Y/N?"

That name causes both women to freeze in their places. Wanda stares at the man's face which seemed to be filled with rage as he stared up at the Captain. She covered her mouth as she watched the man she loveds' memory become tarnished in her head.

"That man is dead..." Steve released his grip on him "The avengers killed him, you killed him... All of you did" Steve clamped his grip back onto his collar and demanded from him the same information he came here for.

"Where the hell is Bucky?" Y/N simply laughed at him with a laugh that could only be described as cold and distant. Natasha felt her body chill at the sound even under the direct gaze of the sun. "They told me you'd ask that... wrong question though" he released a smoke bomb and escaped the super soldiers' grip. As the heroes waited for the smoke to clear they stood in shock. Steve kicked a nearby chair over as he took off his helmet and hung his head. Natasha ran towards him and held him in her arms.

---

Unbeknownst to them Y/N discarded his previous garb and watched from a distance as he loaded into his convoy. The sight of the two made him sick and fill with even more rage towards the captain and widow. He pulled away from the scene as the dozen of police vehicles raced by. A ring came from his pocket and he answered the device. "Hello...yes ma'am, I did as you asked... we are on our way to the extraction point now... ma-ma'am I don't think that would be the wisest move... no ma'am I'm sorry..." he lowered his head as the voice began berating him. "Yes ma'am... I will" the call ended and he dialled a second number.

Back at the city centre, a phone that sat on a table began to buzz and Natasha eyed it suspiciously and slowly made her way towards the device. Picking it up she answered, the silence on the line only confirmed her suspicions. "Agent... how have you been? Hope you didn't miss me too much." she clenched her jaw at his words and looked around attempting to see him. "I'm guessing this isn't a courtesy call..." she heard the same cold laugh from before. The differences between the one that used to fill her with heat and joy became highlighted in her heart. "On the contrary, I missed you..." she didn't respond, this only lit a spark of anger inside him.