XVIII

How can we forgive ourselves?

❝How can we forgive ourselves?❞

EIGHTEEN
REGRET AND MISTAKES

━━━━━━━━━━━

(Y/N) (L/N) has always been far away. It was like even if you're close to him, even if you're touching, he was never really there—and never has been.

He was in his own world, lost within cloudy memories and his own thoughts that no one could quite decipher.

Nobody knew him. Everybody tried.

They tried as hard as they could until they realized (Y/N) didn't need to be known or understood.

Maybe they should've tried harder. Maybe it could've worked. Maybe...just maybe.

Even now, as (Y/N) sits there by the riverbed, a gentle and sweet melancholy on his face as he stared at his reflection through the water, Kim Dokja still found it hard to understand him.

There was a world (Y/N) lives in, his own world that only he understands. It was a world Kim Dokja couldn't reach, even though he was the one who deserved to the most.

'I want to see it.'

They were close, but far.

'I want to understand you.'

Best friends but strangers.

'We've been together for a long time, so why are you leaving?'

There was a sense of longing for his disappearing figure, and at the same time, there was a desperation, like he was running as hard as he possibly could just to reach that fading silhouette.

He's chasing it desperately.

He's reaching his hand out.

He's crying out his name.

But he doesn't turn around.

And Kim Dokja doesn't reach him.

"Hyung?"

(Y/N) turned around, smiling kindly just as he always did, but Kim Dokja was no longer blind.

'It's fake. Your smile is fake. Why must you always feel the need to smile at me? I...I don't need it.'

"Hyung...?"