𝟎𝟐. 𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐖𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐲

𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐀

𝟎𝟐. 𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐖𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐲

'𝐖𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓'𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍'

( Sam Fender,   Will We Talk )

________________________

  SILENCE. Nothing could be heard but Matilda's steps as she walked along the empty halls. The tip of her want was glowing a bright white light - Lumos, one of the most practically spells having been cast.

  She had tossed and turned for a while in her bed, thought runnings rampant through her mind as she tried to fall asleep in vain. The other girls in her dorm had long fallen asleep with soft breaths emitting from their lips. But Matilda couldn't sleep for some reason. She hadn't expected the trouble sleeping to come so soon during her stay at Hogwarts.

  The first night was usually the one when she would sleep the best. It made no sense that despite the crackling fire they had lit in the room and the warm sheets around her, Matilda felt as though the mattress was digging into her at every angle. It was insufferable.

  There was just a bad feeling in the air. Despite the fact that no one else seemed to realize it, Matilda was unable to sleep because of it. So that's how she found herself wandering around the castle late into the night.

  Her destination was the same that it always was when she couldn't sleep. The only place that calmed her down was the Astronomy Tower. It had ever since an eleven-year-old Matilda had wandered into it during her first year at Hogwarts; before her friends and during the confusion with the sorting. It was her refuge.

  Something about staring out at the stars, whether it be to chart them, look for constellations or merely bask in their glow, eased her worries. Matilda had gone so many times to the Astronomy Tower already since her start at Hogwarts that she knew exactly the places to go so that Filch would be none the wiser.

  She had nearly gotten caught once in her second year, and the experience of fleeing from the limping man and his cat had left Matilda with enough knowledge of the castle so that she never had to deal with the issue again.

  "Oi! We're trying to sleep!" A portrait called out, making Matilda freeze as she glanced at the old wizard that lay on a couch within one of the paintings to her right.

  "Turn that blasted light off!" Another called, seemingly angrier than the first.

  She winced and lowered her wand slightly, hand covering it to shield the portraits from the light. "My bad."