𝟎𝟑. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐔𝐧𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐂𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐬

𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐀

𝟎𝟑. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐔𝐧𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐂𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐬

'𝐈 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐘 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐈𝐒 𝐁𝐀𝐍𝐄 𝐎𝐑 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆

'𝐈 𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐘 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐈𝐒 𝐁𝐀𝐍𝐄 𝐎𝐑 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆.'

( Keri Hulme,   The Bone People )

________________________

  "WE'VE GOT MOODY THIS AFTERNOON," Zadie commented as she and Matilda walked down to the great hall together. "What do you think he's like?"

  "Scary," Matilda shivered. "I'm not looking forward to his lessons."

  Zadie glanced over at Matilda, who had her lips drawn into a straight line and narrowed eyes. She knew her friend, and she knew that look. Something was bothering Matilda, and when that happened, it was like everything else shut down.

  "Did something put your wand in a twist?" Zadie questioned teasingly.

  "I didn't sleep for much time," Matilda shrugged.

  "Ah," Zadie mumbled. "And who do I have to blame for that?"

  The answer came without Matilda skipping a beat. "Fred Weasley, I suppose."

  Zadie halted in her steps, eye wide in surprise whilst Matilda continued strolling through the castle. The Great Hall was already in view for them, and Matilda was exceptionally eager to get in there and have her breakfast in peace.

  "I beg your pardon?" Zadie exclaimed behind her. "Fred Weasley?"

  "Yes," Matilda replied casually.

  "And what, if you would be so kind as to indulge, were you doing with Fred Weasley-" Zadie's voice seemed to be getting louder as she spoke.

  "Hush!" Matilda scolded.

  "What were you doing with Fred Weasley in the middle of the night?" Zadie asked, her voice now lowered to a whisper.

  "I was heading to the Astronomy Tower and he bumped into me," Matilda shrugged. "Filch chased us, we hid, and then he walked with me back to my common room."

  Zadie was still staring at Matilda, her eyebrows raised in the way they did when she didn't quite believe the answer that people gave her. "He walked you back to Ravenclaw Tower?"