𝟎𝟖. 𝐅𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐉𝐞𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐬

𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐀

𝟎𝟖. 𝐅𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐉𝐞𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐬

"𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐃 𝐈𝐓 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄? 𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐖𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄

"𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐃 𝐈𝐓 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄? 𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐖𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄. 𝐃𝐈𝐃 𝐈 𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐀𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐎𝐖𝐍 𝐆𝐀𝐌𝐄? 𝐓𝐘𝐏𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐏𝐔𝐓 𝐔𝐒 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐌𝐄."

(Marina and the Diamonds,    The Family Jewels)

________________________

  THE LETTER CAME EARLY IN THE MORNING. It had been a pleasant breakfast while it lasted. Hogwarts had been serving pancakes, which were known to be Matilda's favorite breakfast, and she had almost skipped to the Great Hall so she could claim her favorite food. 

  The owl had dropped off the letter atop Matilda's plate and the smile that was once on her face had been wiped off instantaneously. There was no mistaking it. Ethan and Esther Caddel made a show of always sending her the same ridiculous envelope. As soon as Matilda caught eye of the black envelope with her family crest siting proudly atop it, always in golden wax, she knew that it was bound to be a terrible day. 

  It had taken precisely ten minutes for David and Zadie - who by now where used to the drill whenever Matilda got an envelope - to convince her to open it. They had started by telling her that maybe her parents had written good things to her (to which Matilda scoffed as she held in a laugh). The pair then resorted to telling her the simple truth. She had no choice. Whether or not she wanted it, Matilda had so open the letter.

  And so she did. 

          Dear Daughter,

  We hope everything is going accordingly at Hogwarts. As usual, we expect you to be at the top of your game when it comes to grades and we request that you send us updates on how your activities at school are coming along. There will be no repeating what happened last year in your Potions final. Remeber that your grades are crucial if you someday want to help your brother take over the family business. 

  Speaking of you brother, he recently sent us a letter which had us quite worried. Aparently he caught you heading to detention with Snape one night. Of course, your brother investigated - always looking out for you, he is - and he informed us that you were in trouble for pulling a practical joke on Professor Snape with none other than one of the Weasley children? Your father and I must admit that this caught us off guard. You know better than to partake in such foolish activities, and to pull something on a teacher no less? Not satisfied, you decided to partner up with a Weasley for your little stunt.