𝟎𝟗. 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐲-𝐄𝐲𝐞𝐝 𝐅𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐀

𝟎𝟗. 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐲-𝐄𝐲𝐞𝐝 𝐅𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

"𝐈'𝐌 𝐎𝐍 𝐌𝐘 𝐊𝐍𝐄𝐄𝐒 𝐈𝐍 𝐅𝐀𝐒𝐂𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

"𝐈'𝐌 𝐎𝐍 𝐌𝐘 𝐊𝐍𝐄𝐄𝐒 𝐈𝐍 𝐅𝐀𝐒𝐂𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍. 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐍'𝐒 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐌𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄, 𝐁𝐔𝐓 𝐈'𝐌 𝐑𝐄𝐅𝐋𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓."

(Sam Phillips, Reflecting Light)

________________________

THE STAR CHARTS WERE GETTING INCREASINGLY FRUSTRATING. Matilda had spent the last forty minutes trying to perfect her star chart for the upcoming astronomy lesson she was going to have the next week, but it seemed as though the stars - pun intended - were not on her side.

"Bloody fucking-" she muttered under her breath when her hand slipped and made her quill scratch the paper accidentally.

Her back was crouched over the large parchment as she sat on the floor of the astronomy tower. It had been a couple of hours since the sun had set, and the stars were on clear display - making it exceedingly easy for her to trace them. That was until her homework decided to be much more complicated than she had expected.

Usually, Matilda would have been more than happy to be working on Astronomy homework - after all, it never felt like work - but today she was in a foul mood. After what had happened with Hugo in the Great Hall, Matilda had retired to her room and locked herself in there out of self-pity and frustration.

Her friends had gone to visit her, of course. Cedric and Marina had even gone as far as to bring her a plate of pancakes to cheer her up. But nonetheless, Matilda had refused to open the door to her dorm, deciding that she would hole herself up until she deemed it appropriate to see the light of day again.

Once she was certain that everyone had gone to dinner, Matilda grabbed her Astronomy equipment and headed over to the tower to get some much-needed star-time. She had Prefect duties the next day, so the only time she had to work on her homework before the weekend had just happened to fall on the very time when she was having the worst possible day.

She had been working on the star chart for the past three days, and still, there were many constellations that she had yet to write down. It wasn't like Matilda did not know what to do, but it seemed like her back was achy and her hand was weak, making for terrible writing. Professor Sinistra had given the class until next week to complete the task, and it seemed as though a task that was meant to be fun was giving Matilda the most work of all.