Dance of the Moonlight Jellies

It was the last day of Summer. The air was noticeably cooler, more breathable, and the clouds started to thicken the sky in a grey, smoky coat. It was also the moonlight jellies event that Demitrious loved so much. Sebastian found himself uninterested in the event, he used to enjoy it before his stepdad ruined it.

He had gotten up earlier today to check his motorcycle. It was a present Robin got him for his sixteenth birthday and since then Sebastian regularly checked it, it was his favourite gift.

As he was working away he noticed a presence standing by him. He rolled out from under the motorcycle and saw the farmer.

"Hey," he says wiping his forehead, "I'm just working on my motorcycle." He paused, "You've never seen it have you?"
She shook her head, "It looks cool though."
He stared at the sky, it was misty and everything felt calm for a moment, "I like to take long rides away from the Valley, always alone. It's peaceful out there, I feel like I belong." He reminisced on his time, the glow of the city lights, the view of skyscrapers and the calmness of the night. "Here I just feel judged, you know?"
"Is that because of your work?"
"Well the lack of appreciation for what I do doesn't help." He smirked, "But it's just everything I guess."
There was a moment of silence. Sebastian realised how he must have sounded- negative and childish. He wished he could be more like Sam.
"Uh maybe you could come with me one day, on the motorcycle?"
"I'd like that." The farmer smiled.
"Cool." He checked his watch, it was now the afternoon. "I better finish what I'm doing before I have to get ready for the moonlight jellies. Are you coming?"
"Yeah I am. I didn't think you'd be there. It doesn't seem like your thing."
"It's not really but my family like me to be there. I'd rather go to the city, with you perhaps?"
"That would be cool though the festival might be ok?"
He nodded, "It's kinda interesting."

The Dance of the Moonlight Jellies had begun and Sebastian made his way to the pier to watch the ocean. Sam and Abigail were already there.

"Hey Seb." Sam said 
"Don't push me in the ocean again ok?" He warned, "It was humiliating last time, you know people already hate me."
"Just 'cause Alex thinks you're weird doesn't mean everyone hates you." Sam stated, "Who cares what that guy thinks anyway?"
Sebastian sighed and looked at the water, it was dark and slightly ominous in the night.
"The moonlight jellies will soon brighten it up." Abigail said, "Its exciting isn't it?"

The farmer came to see the group, Sam joked about pushing Sebastian in the ocean,
"Bit harsh isn't it?" the farmer responded, "Especially as it's starting to get cooler."
"Are you excited for the moonlight jellies?" Abigail asked the farmer, " It's a rare thing you know? And it's beautiful!"
"Yeah you were telling me yesterday. I've been looking forward to it." the farmer looked at Sebastian, "Did you finish working on your motorcycle?"
"Uh yeah." He stared at his feet
Lewis announced the jellies were approaching as the final lantern drifted off in the water.

The golden light hitting the waves was relaxing, like a beam of hope drawing in the rare creatures and marked Summers end. Sebastian could already feel like fresh Autumn air as he watched the jellies dance away. He even spotted a green jelly.

"There Vincent!" Sam exclaimed to his brother, "The green jelly!"
Vincent jumped with glee
Sam and Vincent watched together, counting the jellies.
"It's calm isn't it?" Abigail said softly
"Yeah it isn't too bad."
She smiled, "It's the only good thing about Summer."
They laughed together, watching the waves.

Sebastian looked over to the farmer who was stood alone. She seemed happy watching the jellies. Part of him wanted to call over to her and let her stand with his friends however before he could Lewis started taking to her. He knew Autumn was a busy time to be a farmer, they were probably talking about work.

The festival drew to a close and as Sebastian made his way home he saw the leaves falling from the trees, Summer was over now.