A Peaceful Day

Sebastian stood at the mountain lake, mist hung above the water and the clouds loomed, grey and thick. Birds chirped in the trees and frogs leaped across the many lily pads that were speckled about the water.

It was another gloomy day. Sebastian had spent his morning at the railroad watching the trains and laughing that the graffiti that covered them. He remembered watching Sam spray an alien on the train, he always seemed to find a way to rebel. He had returned to his favourite spot to think about Sam's proposal. He still couldn't believe he had agreed to it, he couldn't imagine it going well when they barley knew what they were doing.

The farmer approached with her fishing rod and stood by Sebastian.

For a while they stood in silence and he remembered the time they spoke whilst she was fishing and how refreshing it was to find someone he could joke with that wasn't Sam.

"I didn't realise the band was such a big deal," the farmer began, "Sam was telling me about it and he wants to have a concert."
"Yeah he's an impulsive guy." Sebastian said smiling to himself, "He finds a hobby and milks it dry before moving on to the next one. I never took the band too seriously but now it seems to be important to Sam so I suppose I'll try." He thought back to the summer where the idea of Sam committing to the band was a wild, unobtainable dream. He was surprised as to how much life seemed to have moved on since then, yet he felt stuck in place.
"Another carp." He farmer sighed, "These things won't leave me alone."
"I've never been one for fishing." Sebastian stated, "though I've heard of some cool fish in the caves like the ghostfish."
"Oh yeah there's some weird fish for sure. Do you ever go down the mines?"
"Sometimes for fun, though I had a nasty encounter with a cave crab that kinda put me off."
"They're sneaky things. The caves are dangerous if you're not equipped for it."
"Yeah I learned that the hard way."
"I do enjoy fishing it's quite relaxing and earns some good money. Mining is also quite nice sometimes."
"You're pretty adventurous. I feel boring in comparison. All I do is sit at the computer."

They laughed and the sun began to set. The clouds had softened, turning a soft pink in the sunset.
"Lewis has been nagging me about the fair coming up."
"Oh yeah that dreaded festival. There's so many people and the games are easy to rig."
"Not a fan huh?"
"What did you expect?" Sebastian chuckled, "I can't imagine being nagged by Lewis, I don't know how you deal with him. He has given Sam many hours of community service over the years but I tend to be ignored."
"Well I'd be grateful for it, it's a lot of pressure being farmer and having to impress the mayor."
"I can imagine. For what it's worth I'm proud of you."
"Really?"
"Yeah, I mean you do so much and still make time to talk to outcasts like me."
She smiled at him, "I appreciate the praise. Maybe try and enjoy the fair? You never know it could be fun."
"I'll make an effort."

Sebastian made his way to bed and thought about the day. He considered travelling to the city but decided against it even though he had made enough money to go. For the first time he felt completely satisfied with the valley. He still wanted to move away but for now he felt content.