CHAPTER VII

It has been 3 weeks since he had left their caravan to look for his father who suddenly vanished into thin air. His 'father' is an adventurer with a burly body contrasting his kind face.

The last time he saw his father was when he was 5, that time his father bid his farewell to him, his only family. To venture towards the Craeneum Kingdom. It's been 5 years since then and he still hasn't heard from nor seen his father.

At the age of 6, he entered a caravan and became an adventurer. He entered the caravan as a porter dragging big bags of materials and loot with his small stature.

When he reached the age of 8, the uncle known as Lauel in the caravan taught him how to use knives and daggers which he immediately learned in the span of a few months.

Seeing the potential in the small 8-year-old child. Lauel then taught him how to wield magic. After two years, Lauel who has now turned 67 died due to a failed expedition.

The body of the old man has never been recovered. It's been months since Lauel died and weeks since he left the caravan. Cradling the only remnants of the old man with him the child continued to move forward.

A few days later, the child reached the city of Cenopé. After entering the city, the child immediately entered a cavern near the entrance.

"A room please." The child uttered.

"For how many days young man?" The pudgy old man asked as he looked at the child in front of him.

The child, though young was bigger among his peers. So even with his age of barely a decade, he still looks like someone who will be able to fend for themselves.

"For only a week." He replied while taking out three copper coins from his pouch and placing it on top of the counter.

"Okay!" The old man replied with enthusiasm, he took the coins and threw them inside what seemed like a vase before taking out a book a few inches thick.

The young man looked at him seemingly hesitant, turning his eyes from the old man to his sides and then back to the old man's face. Supposedly, noticing the young man's dilemma. The old man chuckled before saying a few lines.

"If you have anything to ask, you can ask, lad." The man smilingly said. The young man felt relieved at this and a deep sigh immediately escaped his lips.

"I wanna ask how many days will it take to reach Basilica?" The child asked. The older man stopped what he was doing and immediately rubbed his chin with his calloused hands.

"Basilica is in the most inner part of the Craeneum while Cenopé was on the outskirts of the Cathalana which is in the most southern part of Craeneum." The man exclaimed with his face appearing to think so deeply.

The young man listens intently to what the old man is saying. "If you wish to walk or travel with a horse, it might take a month but if you were to use a portal. It might take 5 days." The man explained.

The young man fell into deep thought with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

"How much will it be if I use a portal?" He asked after a long time of thinking.

"Let's see..." The old man said pulling his hands out and starting to count.

"A portal can travel to two cities away from its location, each portal costs 2 silver. From Cenopé to Basilica there are 7 cities so you will be taking 3 portals which costs 6 in total." The old man replied.

The young man's green iris slowly turned to look at the ceiling. As if he was contemplating before it turned to look at the older man.

"Thank you very much, mister!" He enthusiastically said before bowing his head slightly.

The old man then chuckled while stroking his chin. "It's no big deal, young lad."

"I'll now be heading to my room, thank you again!" The young man uttered, again, with a bow. Before heading to his room.

Once he entered his booked room. He was immediately greeted by its humble yet neat appearance.

He put the large luggage on his back down at the side of the bed on the other side of the room. Having been able to put the loads he's been carrying after a week of the restless journey. Finally, the child could relax.

His body immediately fell lying on the bed. The child stays like this for a minute before turning to look at his baggage. He got up and pulled the big bags toward his feet before fishing out a piece of cloth with a letter embroidered into it.

This was the last relic his father left to him before he left and fell into oblivion. He knew something was wrong with his father, who's been jovial and extroverted, being forgotten by their village, who laughs and praises him, only after weeks of absence.

Something ain't right. But he waited years and years he waited. He waited for that familiar heavy footsteps. That familiar jovial laugh. It wasn't right, but he knew what it was. But something inside him knew that all his questions will be answered once he meets his father.

So no matter what he must.

...

The sound of people clamoring in front of a post caught the young man's attention. He got out of the cavern to explore the city of Cenopè and to see where the portal was located.

But on his way to the site, he was greeted with this sight of people gathering in front of a fickle timber.

"Sir, may I ask?" The boy uttered as he tapped an old man's shoulder in front of him.

"What is it, boy?" The old man answered with his feeble voice.

"What's happening over there?" He asked as he looked at the crowd gathering in front of a large post.

"Oh... An announcement has been posted. This year's celebration of the founding will surely be different." The old man mumbled before walking away with his wooden cane.

Being left alone, the young lad began to ponder. He walked towards the crowd, due to his height being higher than your average child. He was able to squeeze into the crowd and see the cause of the commotion.

Seeing the piece of paper glued to the post. His eyes turned wide, he looked at the letters written on the paper and couldn't contain his emotions.

"Diamond in the rough. The prize to the winner was 50000 gold and the..."

"I thought it was only a myth..." He looked at the last letters on the paper.

Everyone else around him was also confused, mumbling and arguing. A few moments last and the surrounding turns silent and the people gathering slowly dissipates. Leaving only him still looking at the paper.

"The witcher's stone..." He said in an inaudible voice. Clutching his bag he resolutely repeated to himself.