Decisions

Chapter Seven

When we got back to L.U.N.A.R. labs, my pants were on fire. After franticly patting it out, we went back to the lounge to meet with the team once again.

Ian looked at my scorched pants. "I'll make you a friction proof suit." He said. "I already have a few ideas. Oh, and you'll have to come up with a superhero name."

"Wait, what?" I asked.

"No." Alger cut in. "I will not allow her to become a superhero. It's too dangerous." Ian's smile fell.

"That's not fair!" I cried. "You let Asher become a superhero! You became one! I have these powers and I want to use them for good like you guys!" I bit my lower lip to keep it from trembling.

"That is true." Asher added. He smiled at me and I couldn't help but smile back despite being angry.

Alger shot him a glare then turned back to me. "Listen carefully. The villain I was facing two days ago is the biggest threat yet. He is targeting all the children of the forces and killing them. It is not safe for you, or me and Asher. We will protect you, but running off into danger won't help."

I looked down at my feet.

Dr. Owens placed a hand on my shoulder. "How about we give you a check up first?"

I brushed her off. I looked at Alger then ran off. The last thing I saw was Asher looking after me with worry in his eyes.

• • •

I ran all the way back home. It's funny how two miles can feel like two seconds to a speedster.

I slipped inside trying not to be noticed, but of course my sister saw me. She was waiting right by the door, like a cat ready to pounce the moment I walked in, pestering me with questions.

"Where-"

"Was I?" I interrupted. "None of your business."

"But you weren't home after school." Ivy complained.

"I was staying late after school studying." I felt bad for lying to Ivy, but I don't think I was ready to tell her the truth. I wanted some answers for myself first.

"Did you get the party hats at the store?" She asked.

My heart dropped. "I forgot. I'm so sorry Ivy."

She looked down. "It's okay. You can get them tomorrow."

"I will. How about for now we make all the invitations?" I suggested.

Ivy's eyes lit up. "Yeah! We can decorate them. I want to send them to Maddi and Emily and Sammy..."

"Okay, okay, but we have to make them first."

• • •

That night, I couldn't sleep. My mind was turning as much as I was in my bed.

Why wouldn't Alger let me help them? I'm not weak. If he can't feel emotions, then he can't care. So why won't he let me be a superhero like him? Can't he see I just want to help?

It was around two in the morning when I decided sleep was overrated and got out of bed. I went downstairs and watched TV until it was morning. Thankfully, it was a Saturday so I didn't have to go to school.

I went over to Kayla's.

"Hi!" She said, and smiled brightly as she opened the door. Today she was wearing a light pink hoodie and black leggings. Her hair was pulled back into a bun and colorful bretts decorated the sides of her hair. A few loose strands fell in front of her face.

"Hey," I replied.

"Do you want to go to the mall?" Kayla asked. "There's this new outfit I've been dying to get."

"Sure."

Before long, Kayla had picked out three new shirts, a new pair of leggings, and a skirt. Along with that, she had gotten several more accessories, including a new scarf, sunglasses, earrings, and a necklace. I on the other hand got two identical black lace chokers with a pink heart on them. I got one for me and one for Ivy. I couldn't wait to give it to her on her birthday.

We sat down at a table outside of a restaurant in the mall. We ordered our food and chatted.

My eyes wandered over the rail to the floor below us. I saw the pillar I had hidden behind as I watched a superhero showdown unfold only nights before. Now, it was reduced to rubble. Police tape blocked off the area surrounding it.

Kayla followed my gaze. "I hear they haven't fixed it yet because the police don't want the evidence messed up until they are done investigating." She told me. "I heard the new speedster was there. Maybe that's what they are looking for."

"Kayla, can I ask you a question?"

"Of course!" She smiled.

"What would you do if someone told you that you couldn't do something you felt like you are supposed to do?"

"Well," Kayla looked me in the eyes. "I would listen to your heart. Deep down, you know what the right decision is."

I love how Kayla was so wise. And despite knowing that I was struggling with something I didn't want to say, she didn't push.

"Thanks."

Alarms cut through from the store next to us.

I turned over my shoulder to see a masked man break out with a sack of money. He had a gun. There was no way the police would arrive in time.

"Kayla, run!" I said.

"What about you?" She asked.

"I'll be fine. I'm gonna call the police. I'll be right behind you." I told her. Thankfully, she bought my lie and ran. There was no need to call the cops, the alarm had sent a notification.

My hand slipped into my pocket and wrapped around my mask.

I had made my decision.

Author's Note

Hopefully I should be back on a regular schedule for posting new chapters. My school is starting next week however, and I will try to make time to write but I also have after school activities. I will try my best but I hope you understand if I am unable to post sometimes. Thanks so much for reading and feel free to comment and vote!